Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Could I use trigger to move 'EXPIRED' to 'LOCKED' ? (Oracle 8i)
Could I use trigger to move 'EXPIRED' to 'LOCKED' ? [message #302046] Fri, 22 February 2008 15:52 Go to next message
dhar
Hi,

I'm currently developing a password management policy for my organisation. I'm using Oracle 8i. I observed the following :

(1) The value in the 'account_status' field of table, dba_users,
is set to 'EXPIRED'(expired-grace time etc....) when a user attempts to logon, given that the password has expired.

(2) The value in the 'account_status' field of table, dba_users, is set to 'LOCKED' when user account is locked after x number of failed logn attempts etc..

These changes appears to be an Oracle- initiated actions, that is, they are executed automatically.
I would like to IMMEDIATELY change an 'EXPIRED' state to 'LOCKED' state whenever a user password expires.

Could this be done ??? I' thinking about a database trigger....that detects when the 'account_status' goes to 'EXPIRED' and changes it to 'LOCKED' immediately.
but I've read that these operate for insert, update, delete operations ONLY...could it be used for my purposes ??

I'm new to Oracle/triggers...I would appreciate any assistance please.....

Re: Could I use trigger to move 'EXPIRED' to 'LOCKED' ? [message #302077 is a reply to message #302046] Sat, 23 February 2008 00:59 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
There is possible trigger for this but you can create a job that periodically scan dba_users and execute "alter user" but what is the need of this? You lose some information: the reason why the user can't log.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Required slight modification to oracle supplied Password Verification Function
Next Topic: last password change
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:28:49 CDT 2024