Home » Other » Training & Certification » good intro book for sql server developer?
good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299399] Mon, 11 February 2008 18:53 Go to next message
aozm
Hi,

I have extensive experience in using t-sql and SQL Server 2000/2005. But I have not used Oracle or PL/SQL before and am about to start a job that uses Oracle. I believe the SQL is relatively the same, and I will have to adjust my syntax somewhat. I was looking for a good book or two to read before starting - any suggestions? Maybe something specific to PL/SQL, even if it's just a good reference book that people recommend (as opposed to a tutorial type book).

Also, something in terms of more general Oracle environment - I'm used to Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, etc. Is there a good book that will help me learn what the equivilent in Oracle is?

I'd be open to good web sites as well, but would prefer a book so that I can read it away from the computer.

Thanks in advance!

Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299400 is a reply to message #299399] Mon, 11 February 2008 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I suggest that you take the time to read the Oracle Concepts Manual.
While SQL may be similar between MS & Oracle; the underlying database engines behave drastically different.

The whole Oracle Documentation set can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com

Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299401 is a reply to message #299399] Mon, 11 February 2008 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Books:
1) Oracle documentation: If you are into Oracle, at some point you need to refer to
Oracle documenation. I agree it is vast. But it is the right place to start.
My Desktop reference and only book I used for quite a long time (or until the authors following
published their work).
2) Commercial Books: There is a whole array of books in market. I personally liked books by
Connor McDonnald, Jonathan lewis, Lex De Haan and Tom Kyte. But these may not be essentially
an introductory level books. There used to be a book called "Oracle Complete Reference" which
may walk you through examples. Not sure about its status/standard now.

Environment:
If you are serious about Oracle, forget about GUI and look into command line (sql*plus).
Oracle documentation has a nice writeup on SQL*Plus. Nothing wrong with GUI. Infact the newer
versions of Oracle are no less GUI enabled (through Enterprise Manager and its related packs)
than SQL SERVER. Again, use sql*plus to take a gander, short scripting and to understand things.
If you are about to do serious PL/SQL programming, use some tools like SQL Developer.

Online Resources:
Oracle documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com/
Orafaq forums
OTN forums
Asktom.oracle.com
Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299402 is a reply to message #299399] Mon, 11 February 2008 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moshea
First things first, I'd say check out the getting started section of the oracle doc's here. There's load of good stuff there.

Having had no experience of TSQL etc, I can't speak to the comparisons between SQL Server and Oracle, however its worth noting that whilst Oracle has its own flavor of SQL, it also fully support s ANSI SQL (since 9i - with the introduction of FULL Outer Join?). So if you're used to writing "standard" SQL in SQL Server, then you should find the change to oracle SQL handy enough.

As for PL/SQL, well everyone will have their own tastes, but the first book I bought was probably Feurstein's "Oracle PL/SQL Programming". It's been on my desk ever since.

I've never used Oracle Enterprise Manager (most 'developers' don't - given that the distinction between DBA and developer is often much more explicit in the oracle world), but I do however love TOAD. As a general purpose IDE its great, and its Schema browser and sessions browsers allow for lots of playing around via an intuitive enough GUI. I mention it purely because I suspect you might be used to a more GUI rich environment coming from SQL Server.

Cheers,
Michael.
Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299413 is a reply to message #299402] Mon, 11 February 2008 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I do however love TOAD

Start with a good tool and use Oracle SQL Developer, free, always up to date, adaptative, a community to improve it...

Regards
Michel
Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299436 is a reply to message #299413] Tue, 12 February 2008 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I agree with anacedent that the concepts manual is a good place to start.
Things you should be aware of:
- Oracle's locking mechanism (completely different from SQLServer's)
- DDL at runtime is a no-go in Oracle
- Joins are good, not bad. There is (virtually) no limit to the complexity of a query Oracle can handle. No need for temporary tables to store interim results
Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299513 is a reply to message #299413] Tue, 12 February 2008 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moshea
Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 05:14
Quote:
I do however love TOAD

Start with a good tool and use Oracle SQL Developer, free, always up to date, adaptative, a community to improve it...

Regards
Michel

Funnily enough, we subject the contractors who work with us to SQL Developer. (Some argue its because we want to re-affirm their position as second class citizens Smile ). The reality is that TOAD isn't exactly cheap (between $800 - $2K per seat, depending on version?). But if you work for a company who's willing to spend the cash, then its much better than SQL Developer.

Don't get me wrong, SQL Developer is grand. It'll get the job done even if It feels a little dinky. And I understand the whole Oracle Evangelism thing, where people must insist every Larry touches is great. But given the choice between Sql Developer and TOAD … well its not really a choice at all.

Michael

Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #299544 is a reply to message #299513] Tue, 12 February 2008 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I assume that you have never been woke up by an alert on production database because rollback segments blow up simply because someone let its TOAD session opened when he left his office.

Regards
Michel
Re: good intro book for sql server developer? [message #300166 is a reply to message #299544] Thu, 14 February 2008 08:28 Go to previous message
aozm
Thank you all for the good advice - I appreciate it!

Previous Topic: ocp(developer track) books and exams
Next Topic: Oracle forms and reports 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:35:57 CDT 2024