Home » Other » Training & Certification » cant 'start' oracle
cant 'start' oracle [message #290553] Sat, 29 December 2007 21:20 Go to next message
Daanish
This is a bit of a broad question, but is also time-sensitive so I hope people can help Smile

Here's the deal - I just took a course to become an Oracle Certified Associate in DBA 10g. Unfortunately this class wasn't taught at all well so I haven't learned that much. I now need to study for it at home, but I cant even start the database!

Because of this pending certification I have gotten an interview for an Oracle Developer (NOT Administrator, which is what I've been studying). This interview will be based on PL/SQL and Oracle Forms. I've never studied these so now first question is, what software do I need to learn them? Do I need anything at all, or can I just learn it by reading a few tutorials? Second, if I do need something, what should I get? Something on the Administration side, with which I can practice for my DBA exam as well, will that do? Or do I need something on the Development side? I just want to practice PL/SQL and Oracle Forms for now, I have no idea how to get access to them.

If I do get the DBA there's diff versions. There is Oracle Database 10g and Oracle Database 10g Express Edition.

By the way are the versions offered on the site free, and are they complete?

Would appreciate any help one can give!

Thanks
Dan
cant 'start' oracle [message #290554 is a reply to message #290553] Sat, 29 December 2007 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daanish
Hello

I've tried installing Oracle 10g DBA. I got the CD from another country, it appears its not an original Sad Regardless, it installed w/o any problems but now I dont know what to do. How do I 'start'? I searched the directory for exe files, came across a bunch such as sqlplus but the username and password isnt working.
For login/pw I've tried orcl/xxxxxx (the default login was given during the install, the xxxxxx was the pw i chose) it said invalid and denied. I also tried scott/tiger (which said locked) and even sys and sysdba but none are working.

I then went to http://localhost:5500/em which was given to me right after the install. This screen is divided into two sections, the Host Credentials and the Database Credentials, each asking for a username and pw. From the responses I've gotten to various combinations it appears I should be logging in via Host Credentials but again neither of the logins I mentioned above are working. Would host credentials maybe just be asking the name of my computer?

I also have Oracle 10g Developer Suite, same problems with that. I still cant login.

I need to learn PL/SQL and Oracle Forms, can that be done on DBA 10g or do I need something else? Its rather urgent, have an interview in a few days!

Best
Dan
Re: cant 'start' oracle [message #290555 is a reply to message #290554] Sat, 29 December 2007 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
You may want to start with Oracle Database 2 Day DBA.
Re: cant 'start' oracle [message #290557 is a reply to message #290554] Sat, 29 December 2007 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I've tried installing Oracle 10g DBA.
I've been doing Oracle for years & have never heard of "10g DBA".

>I got the CD from another country,
You can always download your own s/w from
http://otn.oracle.com

> Its rather urgent, have an interview in a few days!
I suggest you practice saying "Can I SuperSize this order for you".

Oracle is not MATH 101 where you can cram for a few hours before the final test.
If you are interviewed by anyone knowledgeable, you'll only make a fool of yourself.

IMO, you are a couple of years too late in studying PL/SQL & Forms.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2007 22:33] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: cant 'start' oracle [message #290618 is a reply to message #290554] Sun, 30 December 2007 16:45 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
Orcl is not a user; It is your default database name. So, you need to:

CONNECT system/xxxxxx@orcl

or:

CONNECT sys/xxxxxx@orcl AS SYSDBA

Then:

ALTER USER scott ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

Then you can:

CONNECT scott/tiger@orcl

If you are connecting to your local database, you can ommit the @orcl from all of the above.

However, you are a long ways from qualifying as a developer or DBA. I would cancel the interview.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 December 2007 16:52]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: substitute employee salary by '*'
Next Topic: Help with GROUP BY
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:38:29 CDT 2024