Home » Open Source » MySQL » migration mysql to oracle upper and lower case problem
migration mysql to oracle upper and lower case problem [message #266584] Tue, 11 September 2007 03:17 Go to next message
arne
Hi,

i'm very new to oracle so my hope is to find help.

I have a big problem, I have a big mysql DB and want to migrate it to oracle, after that I want to use ADODB with php to connect.
I use the SQL developer and tried the quick migration.

My questions are:
- in SQL developer all tables and names are upper case, only. Is the only way to have the original sheme to place the names into "" and this by hand?
- do you have only UPPER CASE in you db, it would be very hard to rename all vars in my applications.

Thanks for help in advance!
Arne
Re: migration mysql to oracle upper and lower case problem [message #266592 is a reply to message #266584] Tue, 11 September 2007 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Is the only way to have the original sheme to place the names into "" and this by hand?

Yes
Quote:
do you have only UPPER CASE in you db, it would be very hard to rename all vars in my applications.

You should do this. It is part of migration and it is not the hardest part.

Regards
Michel
Re: migration mysql to oracle upper and lower case problem [message #266634 is a reply to message #266584] Tue, 11 September 2007 04:46 Go to previous message
Frank
arne wrote on Tue, 11 September 2007 10:17
- do you have only UPPER CASE in you db, it would be very hard to rename all vars in my applications.

Note that variable-names are not case-sensitive.
References to object-names are case-insensitive as well; Oracle internally translates all object_name references to upper-case, which generates a problem if you use mixed-case objectnames.
The general advice is to convert your object-names to uppercase. This is a one-time effort, and you will regret not doing almost every day, for the rest of the app's existance.
Previous Topic: Convert MySQL 2 Oracle SQL
Next Topic: Monitoring sybase and MySQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:26:42 CDT 2024