Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Oracle Reports 6i on 8i rdbms
icon5.gif  Oracle Reports 6i on 8i rdbms [message #250679] Tue, 10 July 2007 16:45 Go to next message
saloni29
Hi,
I am working on a requirement where I am returning a string to oracle reports which is more than 4000 characters long. As we know reports 6i has a limitation and it does not allow the diplay charaters to be more than 4000.
I am not sure how to approach this requirememnt.

This is what i have tried and have failed the purpose:
The string is being returned thr a PL/SQL function used as a select col in the query builder and has group by and order by.

1) I thought of using LONG but I cannot USE LONG since I am using it in a group by and Oracle does not permit that.
2) if I use CLOB as the function return variable - reports 6i gives inconsistent data types error as the data type reports 6i assigns to it is VARCHAR2(4000).

Is there a any other way by which I can display more than 4000 charatcers in a single field??

Please help,

Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 10 July 2007 16:54]

Report message to a moderator

icon14.gif  Re: Oracle Reports 6i on 8i rdbms [message #277564 is a reply to message #250679] Tue, 30 October 2007 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saloni29
Hi,
I figured it out then. Here is how I resolved this - I used a column source and column formula combination available with Oracle reports. Within the column source I defined the PL/SQL that was retrieving me the 32767 character long string. I made this the source for the column formula and used it on the report output the string. This allows the max string length of varchar2 i.e 32767.

Anyone facing the same issue can try this approach, it might help.

S
Re: Oracle Reports 6i on 8i rdbms [message #277592 is a reply to message #277564] Tue, 30 October 2007 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you for sharing the solution!
Re: Oracle Reports 6i on 8i rdbms [message #351333 is a reply to message #277564] Tue, 30 September 2008 06:22 Go to previous message
alwin2210
Hello,

because I have a few problems with the translation of the proposed solution into German, I would like to ask for help.
I really tried to understand your solution, but I don't get it.

In my report I select a clob column from database. In the layout model there is no problem to choice it for the layout item. But when I am printing the report then there is no break at the end of the line. For better understanding I uploaded a JPG.

Then I tried out to return the clob field in a function within the sql query but it also failed.

Now, I found your solution but I cannot translate it in the right way so that I can use it in my report. Can you please help me?

Thanks
Alex
Previous Topic: How to avoid report from printing.
Next Topic: Legal Page Report Data printing on the Right side of the page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 21:53:24 CDT 2024