Home » Other » Client Tools » Number of db_files too high
Number of db_files too high [message #247036] Sat, 23 June 2007 01:15 Go to next message
tkmittal1
Hi

I m using oracle 9 release with latest patch on windows

in Toad i getting the warning msg number of db_fils too high

what's that mean? how can we avoid that

kindly suggest

Regards

TM
Re: Number of db_files too high [message #247038 is a reply to message #247036] Sat, 23 June 2007 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
It could be a number of things, since you didn't post the ORA-XXXXXX error code.

Also, what command were you running at that time.

My guess into the blue would be you were creating new datafiles and the db_files parameter which can be set to limit the number of data files is to low for that.

What's the result of the following :

SELECT * FROM v$parameter WHERE NAME = 'db_files';

SELECT Count(*) FROM v$datafile;

Re: Number of db_files too high [message #247039 is a reply to message #247036] Sat, 23 June 2007 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>how can we avoid that
By not using brain dead utilities & learning how to know something beyond point & click GUIs
Re: Number of db_files too high [message #247042 is a reply to message #247038] Sat, 23 June 2007 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tkmittal1
SQL> SELECT * FROM v$parameter WHERE NAME = 'db_files';

NUM NAME TYPE VALUE
---------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- ---------
377 db_files 3 200

SQL> SELECT Count(*) FROM v$datafile;

COUNT(*)
----------

I m not getting any error but in Toad it shows the same
Re: Number of db_files too high [message #247045 is a reply to message #247042] Sat, 23 June 2007 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Ask TOAD why it is saying that.

I fully agree with Ana.
Throw away all advice/alert screens from TOAD.
And in my opinion, throw away TOAD.

Once there was one coming to me saying that the database was in danger as TOAD diagnosed there is a major problem because there is only SYSTEM rollback segment and more are needed!

Regards
Michel
Re: Number of db_files too high [message #247297 is a reply to message #247036] Mon, 25 June 2007 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MarcL
Michel,

Throwing away a useful tool is not the answer. If you give a hammer and nails and a saw to a chimpanzee and put him in a room full of windows along with a stack of lumber, odds are you will end up with broken glass everywhere.

However in the hands of a carpenter who knows how to use them, the end result will be something useful.

So tools such as TOAD and PL/SQL Developer do have a place and serve a function and in fact speed up code development.

I came from the old school where a text editor and sqlPlus were the only tools, however resistant I was to use the GUI's, I find them very useful.

Just my two cents.
Re: Number of db_files too high [message #247373 is a reply to message #247297] Mon, 25 June 2007 13:09 Go to previous message
Frank
I totally agree with MarcL, but...
I do think that all people should learn using only those basic tools like vi/notepad and sqlplus. Add to that the obligation to install a database locally (and install it yourself)
That more or less ensures that you got the slightest idea what it is you are working with.
Once you are comfortable using these tools, then step up and go to GUI-based tools. Especially for developers these add greatly to productivity, if used correctly.
Previous Topic: flashback .. to before drop
Next Topic: Page Break on a field
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:07:41 CDT 2024