Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Oracle 9i Database Failover
Oracle 9i Database Failover [message #246000] Tue, 19 June 2007 09:34 Go to next message
kaustubh
Hi,
We have a Primary and Physical Standby Oracle Databases. We need to understand the exact scenarios when Data Guard Failover should be used.
I did some search on web and following is the brief info I got:
Data Guard Failover should be used only when:
1) Switchover is not possible
2) Site disasters
3) Data Failures.

Could please give me more details on when the Data Guard Failover should be used?
Also let me the exact commands that should be used to perform a Data Guard Failover.

Thanks and regards,
Kaustubh Kane.
Re: Oracle 9i Database Failover [message #246013 is a reply to message #246000] Tue, 19 June 2007 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
Quote:
ROLE TRANSITION

In Dataguard configuration, two roles are defined; Primary and Standby. Primary database is the production database which is used by the users. For high availability purpose, the dataguard provides a standby database which remains available side by side to the primary database. Standby databases can be more than one and can be at remote locations as well.

Oracle Data Guard supports two role transition operations:

Switchover:

Switchover allows the primary database to switch roles with one of its standby databases. There is no data loss during a switchover. After a switchover, each database continues to participate in the Data Guard configuration with its new role.

Failover:

Failover transitions a standby database to the primary role in response to a primary database failure. If the primary database was not operating in either maximum protection mode or maximum availability mode before the failure, some data loss may occur. After a failover, the failed database no longer participates in the Data Guard configuration. It needs to be reinstated to become an active part of Data Guard configuration.

Hope Attached document would help you in FAILOVER and SWITCHOVER.
Re: Oracle 9i Database Failover [message #246046 is a reply to message #246013] Tue, 19 June 2007 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kaustubh
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

We perform the Failover if the switchover could not be performed.

Failover will also be required in case of Primary database failure as you suggested. How should we check for the Primary Database failure?
In this case we will need a continous monitor to be running which checks the Primary Database and if failure is detected then Failover is performed.

We need to know what kind of checks should we perform to check the Primary Database?

Thanks and regards,
Kaustubh Kane
Re: Oracle 9i Database Failover [message #246048 is a reply to message #246046] Tue, 19 June 2007 11:36 Go to previous message
DreamzZ
check it may it halp you.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/83201/105911/
Previous Topic: Failover fails
Next Topic: Logical Standby DB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:29:59 CDT 2024