Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » DB Performace with different size drives.
DB Performace with different size drives. [message #215949] Wed, 24 January 2007 06:48 Go to next message
cajohn
We currently have a large database running on 146G fiber drives (10 shelves worth). We need to add at least 10 more shelves to this system, but our IT department would like to see us move to 300G fiber drives for the purpose of saving rack space. How will this affect the performance of the DB? I always believed you went with smaller faster drives and more of them to get better performance. These drives are bigger but just as fast. Just wanter to get some one elses opinion before I say yes or no to this plan.

Thanks.
Re: DB Performace with different size drives. [message #216247 is a reply to message #215949] Thu, 25 January 2007 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Bajracharya
I would say you should see no difference in performance...even if so, negligible.

And since these 300G drives are newer, you may in fact see better performance...

good luck.
--
Sanjay

Re: DB Performace with different size drives. [message #216430 is a reply to message #215949] Sat, 27 January 2007 11:40 Go to previous message
cbruhn2
Do you see any problems with I/O disk times?
Do you wait for I/O, how many I/Os do you need pr. second and will the new setup be able to deliver?.
If you don't seem to have any problems and the new setup will be able to deliver what is being used at times of writing I would have no hesitations to go for larger disks.
On the other hand if you are near full capacity on I/O on the system at this time, it may be you would have problems with larger disks.

best regards.
Previous Topic: Testing performance tweaks
Next Topic: Which one best ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 00:11:31 CDT 2024