Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » DB migration from VxFS to Veritas CFS For RAC and/Or Raw Volume
DB migration from VxFS to Veritas CFS For RAC and/Or Raw Volume [message #213666] Thu, 11 January 2007 15:22 Go to next message
qmailindia
Hello Experts

we are running single instance Oracle 9i on Solaris Sparc,VxVm,VxFS , we are planning to go with Oracle 9i RAC on Solaris 10 with Sun Cluster 3.X, as per the Oracle/Sun Qualification Matrix Oracle 9i RAC with Sun Cluter 3.x only supports RAW Devices for DB Files .......so in that case we have to migrate our existing Single Instance DB which is on VxFS to the RAW device/Volume....our DB size is around 7-8 TB .....is there any way to do the same minimizing the downtime ? what options are available for Back ups , our existing Backup methods are file base as well as Agent base online backups .....so will there be any impact on our Backup methods if we go with RAW ?

we are also considering veritas CFS with Veritas Cluster ....now if we go with Veritas CFS & Veritas Cluster then in that case is it required to Migrate existing Single Instance Oracle DB files which is on VxFS to the new 9i RAC which will be on Solaris , with Veritas Cluster server and Veritas Cluster file system ? or the oracle Data on standard VxFS works as it when deployed with Veritas CFS ?

any pointers would be of great help

Thanks In Advance
Nilesh
Re: DB migration from VxFS to Veritas CFS For RAC and/Or Raw Volume [message #213799 is a reply to message #213666] Fri, 12 January 2007 06:10 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> minimizing the downtime
Using EMC or similar technology for storage?
We did ***move*** some 4 TB rawpartitions/filesystems completely online to another storage.
Talk to the vendor for specific details.
But database upgrade is different. You will need some downtime.
Why 9iRAC? why not 10gRAC?
>>so will there be any impact on our Backup methods if we go with RAW
Depends. I use RMAN, which behaves the same with RAW or Filesystems.
>>Sun Cluter 3.x only supports RAW Devices for DB Files
To some extent true. That was what sold to us several years before and one of our RAC is still on RAW.
That is why Upgrading to 10g is better choice ( Unix Group hates raw)

I would actually raise a TAR for compatibility issues. There are several subtle differences.
Previous Topic: multiple RAC on the same machines
Next Topic: Backups before Patch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:48:46 CDT 2024