Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Database Server - Gap & Impact Analysis (Windows & UNIX)
Database Server - Gap & Impact Analysis (Windows & UNIX) [message #207475] Tue, 05 December 2006 13:15 Go to next message
MeganP
All,
Current Oracle database runs on Windows 2000 server and our corporate standard recommends using Unix. As we are experiencing a lot of unplanned outages with the existing Windows server, we have decided to refresh with Unix (Solaris) server. I was assigned to do gap analysis and Impact analysis between the current state and the corporate standards. Can any one tell me what are the various factors (step by step) that I need to consider in Gap analysis and Impact analysis?

If any one has any model that I can go after would be of great help.

Thanks,
-Megan
Re: Database Server - Gap & Impact Analysis (Windows & UNIX) [message #212273 is a reply to message #207475] Thu, 04 January 2007 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Well, I would start with the following:

- Solaris skills (tain, hire or get consultants)
- Training courses and availability
- Hardware requirements for new platform
- What additional software would be required on SUN
- Software licensing
- Get vendors onboard to help with migration
- Mock migrations to estimate time required to move the database.
Etc.
Re: Database Server - Gap & Impact Analysis (Windows & UNIX) [message #212563 is a reply to message #207475] Fri, 05 January 2007 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martijn
In addition of Frank Naude maybe you can think of (on a more hands-on level):

- scripting (if any on windows Smile) which have to be "tranlated" to unix-shell-scripting.
- Schedules run from the windows scheduler which now have to be run in crontab.

Best Regards,
Martijn
Re: Database Server - Gap & Impact Analysis (Windows & UNIX) [message #212607 is a reply to message #207475] Sat, 06 January 2007 09:16 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
backups & recovery
monitoring
disaster recovery
Previous Topic: My crontab got error
Next Topic: pass arguments to a .sql file that is being called from a shell
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:19:38 CDT 2024