Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Very low network times when retriving data from a query.
Very low network times when retriving data from a query. [message #198261] Mon, 16 October 2006 05:55 Go to next message
petpet
Hi all,
I have installed a Oracle 9.2.0.7.0 db and one application made in .NET that get data from that database.

I have verified that when having done a query (any query), that returns many rows, the speed transfer is very slow, not overcoming them 100Kb/seg.
So doing a query like "SELECT * FROM DBA_OBJECTS", that are 8Mb in my case, takes more than 10 segs.

The link between the web server and the database server is 1Gb.

The is not firewalls in way. I have tried to transfer files of 10Mb by FTP and the speed is immediate. I have generated a report with statspack and do not see anything showy.
Re: Very low network times when retriving data from a query. [message #198378 is a reply to message #198261] Mon, 16 October 2006 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
How are you returning the data. I'm not a .Net programmer, but I'm told the accepted way is to pass a REF CURSOR back to generate a Record Set (gibberish to me...?). If you are performing repeated calls to fetch each row, that would certainly explain the lag.

Ross Leishman
Re: Very low network times when retriving data from a query. [message #198437 is a reply to message #198261] Tue, 17 October 2006 03:26 Go to previous message
petpet
The connection is made by ODBC.
The same test made with PL/SQL Developer returns the same results.

I saw with TOAD that I have "high parse to execute ratio" and in the next hours I'll do some changes in the SESSION_CACHED_CURSORS and CURSOR_SHARING parameters.
Previous Topic: sql tuning
Next Topic: Regarding Schema Stats for CBO
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 09:19:19 CDT 2024