Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How to tune SQL Query
How to tune SQL Query [message #19930] Thu, 18 April 2002 18:14 Go to next message
Rajesh Mohan
Hi,
I am facing a problem. I have one query which is fetching hundreds of records from a table having 6 million records. My query is following

select roll_no, sum(expiry_date) from v_master
group by roll_no having sum(expiry_date) <= sysdate;

This query is taking more than 4 minutes to retrieve the data. How can I make it fast.

Pl. give me some solution.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Rajesh Mohan
Re: How to tune SQL Query [message #19936 is a reply to message #19930] Fri, 19 April 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike
Hi,

As far as I know you can not sum a date datatype. So could you please say what kind of datatype your expiry_date is and what is the sense of makink the sum of a date???

Mike
Re: How to tune SQL Query [message #19940 is a reply to message #19930] Fri, 19 April 2002 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Bajracharya
You are doing a sum() on expiry_date ? You logic does not make sense ? Be more specific.
Re: How to tune SQL Query [message #19956 is a reply to message #19930] Sun, 21 April 2002 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajesh Mohan
Hi,

Sorry for giving wrong query. I am using max() not sum(). Actually my query is

select roll_no,max(expiry_date) from v_master
group by roll_no
having max(expiry_date)<=sysdate;

Thia v_master table is having 6 million records and this query is taking more than 4 minutes.
Please provide me some solution to make it fast.

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh Mohan
Re: How to tune SQL Query [message #19969 is a reply to message #19930] Mon, 22 April 2002 05:53 Go to previous message
Sanjay Bajracharya
You won't be hitting the index becoz you have a group function on it (max()). Else the SQL is pretty simple and correct.
Previous Topic: Can you pls give sql query for a little complex functionality
Next Topic: The query behind the DESCRIBE command?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:13:36 CDT 2024