Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Why is this sql so slow?
Why is this sql so slow? [message #19640] Tue, 02 April 2002 05:10 Go to next message
Emil
I am trying to select from a table where rownum < 20 and rownum > 10 with order by. I know this isn't possible since rownum sets when a post is inserted into the table.

I found you could use two inner selects to make it possible, like this:

SELECT * FROM
(
SELECT INNER_SELECT.*, ROWNUM AS RNUM FROM
(
select * from table1, table2 where col1 = col2
) INNER_SELECT )
WHERE RNUM >= 10 AND RNUM <=20

This works fine, but takes extremely long time!
I understand that it should take a little longer, since you make three selects instead of one, but the differences are incredibly big.

When I run the innermost select only, select * from table1, table2 where col1 = col2, it takes about 50 millisec. But the whole sql string takes nearly 20 seconds!

It only takes this much time when the innermost select is joined between two different tables, if I alter it to select * from table1 where col = value it doesn't take much time.

Does anybody know why this happens, and more important, is there any other ways to do this?
Re: Why is this sql so slow? [message #19709 is a reply to message #19640] Thu, 04 April 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rasmeek
select * from table1, table2
where col1 = col2 and
ROWNUM >= 10 AND
ROWNUM <=20

If this does not work, then just try putting the RNUM condition inside and the join outside. As there will be fewer records to join, the query will run faster.
Re: Why is this sql so slow? [message #19711 is a reply to message #19640] Thu, 04 April 2002 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Note that conditions testing for ROWNUM values greater than a positive integer are always false.

For example, this query returns no rows:

SELECT * FROM emp WHERE ROWNUM > 1;

The first row fetched is assigned a ROWNUM of 1 and makes the condition false. The second row
to be fetched is now the first row and is also assigned a ROWNUM of 1 and makes the condition
false. All rows subsequently fail to satisfy the condition, so no rows are returned.

SQL> select count(*) from dept;

COUNT(*)
----------

SQL> select * from dept where rownum > 3;

no rows selected

SQL> select * from dept where rownum > 2;

no rows selected

SQL> select * from dept where rownum < 3;

DEPTNO DNAME LOC
---------- -------------- -------------
10 ACCOUNTING NEW YORK
20 RESEARCH DALLAS
Re: Why is this sql so slow? [message #19725 is a reply to message #19640] Thu, 04 April 2002 20:44 Go to previous message
Emil
I do know that you can't use
"SELECT * FROM emp WHERE ROWNUM > 1", that is why I use an inner select. That creates a new rownum for the select.

If you try my sql string you should see it's working, the problem is that it's so slow.
/Emil
Previous Topic: sql
Next Topic: permanent multiple column sort
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 15:03:24 CDT 2024