Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Need SQL for Deleting Tree Data
Need SQL for Deleting Tree Data [message #19597] Mon, 01 April 2002 00:44 Go to next message
Skumar
Is there a single sql query to delete a tree ( that is the parent and all its children and their children if they exist) .

I tried the following query

delete from abc
where abcid in ( select abcid from abc
connect by parent_id = prior node_id
start with node_id = 123
order by node_id desc)

since order by doesnot work inside subquery if i remove it .i get a error parent cannot be deleted since there are child records.

I will be thankful if some one gives me a solution.

One idea i got was to first select the id's order by desc with select statement push it into table type variable and in a for loop delete it. But this will be very heavy.
Re: Need SQL for Deleting Tree Data [message #19610 is a reply to message #19597] Mon, 01 April 2002 14:45 Go to previous message
andrew again
Just because you order the subquery, doen't mean that the records would be deleted in the correct order. If you have a foreign key enforcing the parent-child relationship you could have a mutating table condition as you get with triggers. Sometimes you can overcome the problem of not having an order by in the subquery (not a problem on 8i) by using a group by. I would try doing it with pl/sql becuase of the difficulty in ensuring that records are deleted in the right order by using a single SQL statement.
Previous Topic: Select Values from table A that are not in table B
Next Topic: Re: How to find the Size of the Database? - Urgent.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:09:36 CDT 2024