Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Two questions about interviews
Two questions about interviews [message #187320] Sat, 12 August 2006 00:18 Go to next message
kal_youssef

Dear Oracle Tuning experts

im new to oracle tuning and i need to find out the answers to the following questions
your help will be greatly appreciated

1. How to trouble shoot an application performance issue?
(The user calls and tells about deteriorated application
performance, how do you handle it?
mention the steps..)

2. What are the common database problems faced in live/production
environment ?
( User calls, Space problems, network issues.. etc.)
regards
K.
Re: Two questions about interviews [message #187779 is a reply to message #187320] Tue, 15 August 2006 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SQLAREA
Hi,

Since you are new to performance tuning, as a start I recommend to read the tuning guide off the oracle release you have to deal with. Let me forward you the one for 10.2 http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/toc.htm

It does not take a hero to take some Statspack reports ( from 8.1.5 onwards ) or AWR reports ( from 10.1 onwards )
Both give you an overwiew of hundreds of performance statistics. The first page of those reports give you in most cases a representative overview. It will list you the major waits, load profile, cursor sharing stats, ...

In addition often sql trace and tkprof can be used to find some guilty sql ( sql which visits a lot of buffers ) Appropriate Sql Tuning with respect to the optimizer and statistics can be further used to improve performance.

Regards
Guy
Re: Two questions about interviews [message #187788 is a reply to message #187779] Tue, 15 August 2006 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kal_youssef

Dear Guy

Thanks for the quick reply

i know how to use Statspack and sql trace and tkprof littly but i need to know in general what are some of the issues that come up in everyday live / production systems so just some examples would be helpful

Thanks in advance i appreciate the help
regards
Kal
Re: Two questions about interviews [message #188254 is a reply to message #187788] Thu, 17 August 2006 11:02 Go to previous message
SQLAREA
Hi

Some tuning releated issues ?

IO throughput , CPU load , memory, networking

Regards
Guy

Previous Topic: Estimating cache size
Next Topic: From staging tables to datamart table -- how?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 04:35:19 CDT 2024