Home » Server Options » Data Guard » STANDY Getting Hosed Up !!
icon4.gif  STANDY Getting Hosed Up !! [message #185784] Thu, 03 August 2006 10:33 Go to next message
vx_2004
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. We recently went to prod db which is Oracle 10g and it has a standby DB.

Our standby DB got hosed and our DBA things that its is because of

CTAS (Create Table AS) statement.

I issued following SQL in Production DB :

CREATE TABLE TABLEA AS
SELECT DISTINCT A.FIELD1, A.FIELD2, B.FIELD3
from TABLE1 A, TABLE2 B
WHERE A.FIELD1 = B.FIELD1

This statement creates the table and inserts only 300 records in it. As per the DBA, no matter how many records are being inserted, it will mess up the standby.

So does someone has any experience in dealing with similar situation ??

If so how should this be resolved ??

Is there a parameter we are missing in init.ora ??

Or what else ??

[Updated on: Thu, 03 August 2006 13:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: STANDBY Getting Hosed Up! [message #185880 is a reply to message #185784] Fri, 04 August 2006 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Highly unlikely. That statement may cause some performance problems on your production site, but it will have almost no effect on the standby site.

Why don't you tell us the what the problem actually is? Also, check both ALERT.LOG files and post detailed error messages.
Re: STANDBY Getting Hosed Up! [message #185986 is a reply to message #185880] Fri, 04 August 2006 12:18 Go to previous message
vx_2004
Well,

Its exactly the opposite, we did not see any problems in production.

Since it inserts only 300 records so no issues, query came back in less than one minute. Even though the two tables being joined have million records or more in each.

I think out prod Servers / DB have huge resources allocated since its a SIEBEL OLTP DB.

I am thinking that standby does not have equivalent resources or very minimal resources and that's why these big statements don't seem to affect the LIVE Production DB whereas the Standby gets hosed every time I try to issue DML statement without commit after 5000 records or CTAS statements.

I will ask DBA if she can send me the alert log but I doubt since she is not very happy with me right now.

Embarassed

Previous Topic: how to make the standby database apply archivelog quickly
Next Topic: RMAN backup in Standby site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:08:40 CDT 2024