Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Duplicates in sql query
Duplicates in sql query [message #19100] Thu, 28 February 2002 06:04 Go to next message
James
Hello All,
I am using Oracle 8i and I am doing a simple join to select all the records for a specific date, grouping them by the same text information field ie duplicates. I know how to select the duplicates, but I want to return all the rows from both tables and I'm not sure how to do that. I couldn't find any examples so far. The sql I have retrieves one row and I need all of the rows returned.
SQL:
select eh.text, count(*)
from events e, event_hist eh
where e.num = eh.num
and eh.time > '18-JULY-01'
and eh.time < '20-JULY-01'
group by eh.text
having count(*)>1;

Thanks,
James
Re: Duplicates in sql query [message #19116 is a reply to message #19100] Thu, 28 February 2002 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raji
your question is not clear,you need only the duplicate records,isn't that right?"but I want to return all the rows from both tables"what do you mean by this?explain.
Re: Duplicates in sql query [message #19126 is a reply to message #19116] Fri, 01 March 2002 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James
Yes, sorry I didn't make that clearer. I want to return all the column data from all the duplicate rows. Right now I get the correct counts and text fields, but I don't have it in the query to get the other data in the other fields within the duplicate rows that I want. (ie a datetime, id number, etc...)
What I am retrieving are records with the same telephone number (text field) that contain different web page names that are being hit via that telephone number. I am trying to work out some metrics on the data. Therefore, there will be several records in the table with the same telephone number and date, but with different pagename fields. That is what I am trying to return, along with the other data.
Thanks,
James
Re: Duplicates in sql query [message #19139 is a reply to message #19100] Fri, 01 March 2002 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raji
Try this.
select *(columns you need) from events e,event_hist eh
where e.num = eh.num
and eh.time > '18-JULY-01'
and eh.time < '20-JULY-01'
and eh.text in (select b.text
from event_hist b
group by b.text
having count(*)>1);
Re: Duplicates in sql query [message #19173 is a reply to message #19100] Mon, 04 March 2002 06:39 Go to previous message
James
It worked great! I forgot about doing a self join on the hist table.
Thanks!
Previous Topic: one column value ---> multiple rows
Next Topic: Filling zeros in the data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:48:01 CDT 2024