Home » Infrastructure » Unix » backing up and restoring solaris
backing up and restoring solaris [message #182605] Mon, 17 July 2006 05:25 Go to next message
alanm

hi,
Can anyone please help me here.
I have installed oracle onto a solaris server. Whilst I can easily backup and recover the databse using RMAN, I do not know how to backup and restore the operating system. Does anyone here have any scripts etc that I can use to do this.

regards

Alan.
Re: backing up and restoring solaris [message #183543 is a reply to message #182605] Fri, 21 July 2006 04:59 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
I am not sure you can backup and restore the O/S. You would be better off useing RAID1 for the O/S. Make sure the RAID1 is healthy and have it email you if one of the disks go bad.

You can restore most files of the O/S. But some, like proc, have process ids in them and you would at least need to re-boot.

If your O/S is bad, how do you expect to run a restore of the O/S or the database?

I would plan on re-installing the O/S if needed, then reinstall Oracle and listener and do a database recovery. Then re-install any other software you need.
Previous Topic: Oracle 10g in Solaris
Next Topic: database startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:33:58 CDT 2024