Home » Server Options » Data Guard » DBNAME and SID of standby database
DBNAME and SID of standby database [message #179309] Mon, 26 June 2006 16:38 Go to next message
TheSensFan
Hello,

New to the forum and Oracle Data Guard. I am in the beginning stages of configuring an environment with one primary server and one physical standby database in attempt to get Data Guard up and running. My reference to date has been the Data Guard book from Rampaut books.

My first two questions which of course will seem silly ones to most:

Does the standby database need to have the same Global Database Name as the primary server?

Does the standby database need to have the same SID as the primary server?

Re: DBNAME and SID of standby database [message #179349 is a reply to message #179309] Tue, 27 June 2006 01:41 Go to previous message
aciolac
Does the standby database need to have the same Global Database Name as the primary server? - Yes. The database name are write in the controlfile, and can be changed only with command CREATE CONTROLFILE with clause RESETLOGS, which is impossible for standby database(possible only for opening standby in read/write mode). Ou can explicitly set database name in init.ora:
db_name=DTB_NAME
Does the standby database need to have the same SID as the primary server? - No. You can specify other SID, and start database under this SID.For starting database under other SID, set explicitly ORACLE_SID parameter as you need, and set parameter db_name in init.ora as primary database name.
Previous Topic: How to disable transfers of LOGS to standby database
Next Topic: failover with multiple standby
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:18:30 CDT 2024