Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Commenting out SQL code
Commenting out SQL code [message #18648] Fri, 08 February 2002 07:58 Go to next message
Brian H
When working with MS-SQL server, if a double hyphen "--" is inserted into a SQL statement, it effectively comments out the remaining SQL code...so for example:

SELECT * FROM TABLE 1-- WHERE FIELD1="TEST"

will be understood by MS-SQL server as "Select * FROM TABLE1". I was told that Oracle DB Server does not have this functionality, and when using the SQL*PLUS utility, it infact generates an error message.

However, when running queries from an ASP or PHP page, I have noticed that the "--" appears to have the same effect as in MS-SQL server, effectively ignoring the remaining SQL code. Does anyone out there know if this is a feature or Oracle? Im thinking that is is just like MS-SQL server's comment feature, but that clients like SQL*PLUS just don't support that feature. Please respond.

Thanks,

- Brian
Re: Commenting out SQL code [message #18649 is a reply to message #18648] Fri, 08 February 2002 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
INTROV
It sure does work in SQL*PLUS.

SQL> select * from tab -- where tname="Test";

TNAME TABTYPE CLUSTERID
------------------------------ ------- ----------
ACTIVE1 VIEW
ADOORACLE TABLE
AMD_LINK TABLE
AMEND_V VIEW
AMEND VIEW
ANALYSTS TABLE
ANALYST_V VIEW

I am not sure what exactly the problem is. Can you be more specific.
Re: Commenting out SQL code [message #18660 is a reply to message #18649] Sat, 09 February 2002 16:06 Go to previous message
Brian H
Your example is correct, but if you were to replace tname with an invalid column name, then SQL*PLUS will respond with a "Invalid Column" message, suggesting that it is actually trying to process the commented out section.

Basically, I am just looking to confirm that the "--" is a documented feature of Oracle's supported SQL syntax like it is with MS-SQL server. Is it?

This is for a study I am doing that compares SQL syntax for various database platforms. Does anyone know of any other DB's that support the "--" SQL comment?
Previous Topic: How to execute a procedure
Next Topic: TTITLE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:44:40 CDT 2024