Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » PROS AND CONS: schema vs database
PROS AND CONS: schema vs database [message #18482] Fri, 01 February 2002 09:00 Go to next message
CATHYBEE
I am doing migration from
Rdb to Oracle9i..
In Rdb, i have 2 different databases: D0 and D1.
I am trying to decide, if i want them as 2 different databases or 2 schemas in the Oracle..
What are the PROS AND CONS of having 2 different databases vs 2 schema's..
Also, how do i create another schema(I have the script for create tables etc.. from ERWIN)??

Any help is appreciated..
Re: PROS AND CONS: schema vs database [message #18483 is a reply to message #18482] Fri, 01 February 2002 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FRED LAVIGAT
HI CATHY,
I DONT HAVE AN ANSWER FOR YOUR QUESTION
HOWEVER, I AM INTERESTED ON SEEN YOUR DECILE PROGRAM IF YOU DONT MIND. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF MIGRATING MY FOXPROD DECILE PROGRAM TO ORACLE AND I AM HAVING SUCH OF HARD TIME TRANSLATING INTO ORACLE.

SORRY I COUNDNT HELP YOU WITH YOUR NEED.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!! :)
Re: PROS AND CONS: schema vs database [message #18487 is a reply to message #18482] Fri, 01 February 2002 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
Recent versions of Oracle are designed to handle tons of data. The combined size of your databases is unlikely to be a consideration. Management overhead of the databases is likely to favour a single database, with the understanding that if something goes wrong with it, then both systems are down. Oracle is as reliable as it gets, so the db is not going to break by itself. Creating multiple databases requires more memory on the box in general, as each instance needs it's own SGA memory. Database = set of data files. Instance = copy of Oracle program executing with associated memory etc. Most advice will suggest 1 database.
Re: PROS AND CONS: schema vs database [message #18489 is a reply to message #18487] Fri, 01 February 2002 10:31 Go to previous message
andrew again
to support 2 schemas, you would generally create 2 users. These users would typically have their own tablespaces - one for tables and one for indexes.The idea of multiple tablespaces it to spread disk I/O. The current move towards disk arrays abstracts the physical location of the datafiles belonging to the tablespaces, so the usefulness of having separate TSs for data and index becomes more fuzzy.
Previous Topic: passing PL/SQL
Next Topic: How do I get a list of databases that have a DB_LINK to my source database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:49:09 CDT 2024