Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Tuning without the knowledge of what it is
icon9.gif  Tuning without the knowledge of what it is [message #171932] Fri, 12 May 2006 06:27 Go to next message
raji_kb02
Hi,

Today one of my collegue who is tester came to me and asked what is the value to be set for SGA_TARGET parameter.

After asking few questions I come to know that they upgraded the database from 9i to 10g. So they want to test the application performance (e.g cpu utilization, io, etc)

I am not a DBA, but I remember this parameter related to Automatic memory management. So I showed her oracle documentation details and performance tuning guide. She doesn't know where is oracle documentation and what is this parameter for. She is not even ready to see the document which I am opening for her. On scrolling we saw the sample from oracle doc say SGA_TARGET=256M.
She noted the value, saying I will start with this value and continue my testing.

Really I felt very bad and annoyed. Why these people are not interested to know what it is? Anyone experienced such things?What will be your reaction?

Maaher(Moderator) please remove this if you feel it is not related to this forum.

Re: Tuning without the knowledge of what it is [message #172494 is a reply to message #171932] Tue, 16 May 2006 19:55 Go to previous message
krystian.zieja
I would suggest to your colleague reading Concept Guide
Best Regards
Krystian Zieja / mob
Previous Topic: statspack
Next Topic: Measuring the impact of indexes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 15:53:52 CDT 2024