Home » Other » Client Tools » Is it possible to spool data to to fixed format file?
Is it possible to spool data to to fixed format file? [message #1523] Wed, 08 May 2002 16:41 Go to next message
JAW
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to spool data from an Oracle table to a fixed format text file? I'm currently concatenating the fields (not using a comma). Null fields are not populating my output file, thereby disrupting the spacing. I need the spaces from the null fields included in the output file.

Thanks for any help.
Re: Is it possible to spool data to to fixed format file? [message #1524 is a reply to message #1523] Thu, 09 May 2002 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John R
I assume from your use of the word 'spool' that you are using SQL*Plus to generate this spool file.

The best solutin I can think of it to alter your query to add an NVL around the fields that are causing the problems, to replace them with spaces when null.

There is an SQL*Plus environment varialbe called NULL that controls how nulls display, but it doesn't seem to allow you to display spaces. YMMV.

Hope this helps.
Re: Is it possible to spool data to to fixed format file? [message #1531 is a reply to message #1524] Thu, 09 May 2002 07:35 Go to previous message
JAW
That did the job. Thank you.

-John
Previous Topic: Inserting a row into different table than supposed
Next Topic: Spool Command
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:37:31 CDT 2024