Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Performance tuning without accessing real data
Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148482] Thu, 24 November 2005 07:19 Go to next message
rrawasi
Dear All
My Boss want me to tune Oracle database, at first vision I see lots of problem in design.
the other bad thing is that they don't want to change the design and want to tune it.
So I can't gather lots of information about database, do you have any suggestion that Where should I invest on tuning database.
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148490 is a reply to message #148482] Thu, 24 November 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
what are we 'tuning' here?
what is the issue?
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148506 is a reply to message #148490] Thu, 24 November 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrawasi
The issue is increasing performance of database because it is slow
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148534 is a reply to message #148506] Thu, 24 November 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
If I walked down to my local motor mechanic and told him that my car wasn't running very well, what do you think he would say?

You need to know what is wrong before you tune, and you need data from the Production system to find out what is wrong. Read the Oracle Performance Tuning manual (there's a link in the sticky at the top of this forum), then run StatsPack and do whatever else the Performance Tuning manual says to diagnose the bottlenecks.

Now you have a list of specific problems. Many of the solutions will be in the PT manual.

Some of the fixes will involve changing database initialization params. The only way to tell if they will improve performance is to try it and see (unless you can replicate a full production load in another database).

Some of the fixes will involve tuning queries. This can be done on a test database by setting the statistics on the tables and indexes to the same as those in Production. This is covered in the manual.

Some of the fixes will involve tweaking harware configuration. Good luck with those ones.Smile

Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148576 is a reply to message #148534] Fri, 25 November 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrawasi
Thank you for your answer
I know How to tune my database very well but the problem is to don't touch the prodcution database, my boss don't trust me and the database is very very critical (T-com database)
I just think about some kind of replication that if it is possible have an exact same database (not just data within activity also) and focus tuning there.

OCP 9i, SCJP 1.4

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2005 02:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148577 is a reply to message #148576] Fri, 25 November 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Reza Ravasizadeh wrote on Fri, 25 November 2005 09:22

my boss don't trust me

Hurray!
If you are not allowed to run statspack and if your boss doesn't trust you, let him do the tuning.
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148604 is a reply to message #148577] Fri, 25 November 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrawasi
He don't know what is STATPACK and before I ask for his permission, because I'm new here and DB is very crtitical he don't trust my knowledge.
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148642 is a reply to message #148604] Fri, 25 November 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,,

Laughing Laughing intresting topic ..... tell your boss.. that dont stop your pay and say its better not to tune database right now... & try to find some new job.... because if they dont trust you then y they selected you for this job.... Have a fun and enjoy life....

By the way .. i got one idea

Is there is a test server...?

Can u create clone database from your production database..?

Firstly On test database (i.e. clone database) you can try your hand and show your boss that you can work..

Otherwise Very Happy have fun enjoy life......

Take it lightly buddy
I am always friend sunilkumar

Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148701 is a reply to message #148642] Sat, 26 November 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrawasi
It is not laughable when I should work with Nato Document data.
The problem is my access to these data

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2005 13:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148731 is a reply to message #148701] Sun, 27 November 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

I think you are hurt... coz of my laugh ... but if you are working with critical data.... then Do you think your task as a dba is going to change... from other 24X7 production database DBA?

Come On... they should have to trust you and you have to trust your ability....Smile

I think you got lot of reply from expert DBA on this forum ... i m very small DBA .. just a bigner... but i assure you that if i will have to work like you were they will not trust me ... i will not going to work there....

As per you ==> The problem is your access to these data

But there is a way ... just tell your boss some concept of performance tuning of Oracle Database... he is senior to you hope he will be guided by your concept and he will be able to do performance tuning... Wink

Regards
Sunilkumar

Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #148788 is a reply to message #148731] Mon, 28 November 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrawasi
Thank you
I did what you say, Now I wait for his feedback
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #149205 is a reply to message #148482] Wed, 30 November 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
One other option is to collect statistics from production and then import into your test environment. Not the data, just the statistics, which the test environment CBO would then use and be fooled into thinking that was the content of the data. Make sense?

Export the statistics from dictionary into your table. Export that table. Import that table export into your test database. Then import the statistics into the dictionary from that table. The dbms_stats package has procedures to do that. I think also Tom Kyte has talked about the procedure on his site.

It will give you an idea of the execution plans used. And in newer versions I think you can even export and import things like ADM statistics, all without touching the actual db data.
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #149282 is a reply to message #149205] Thu, 01 December 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
smartin wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 16:35

I think also Tom Kyte has talked about the procedure on his site.

Indeed, but he isn't too fond of it.

hth
icon12.gif  Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #149295 is a reply to message #148482] Thu, 01 December 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrawasi
Thank you Frank
According to TOM I think the best solution is to import production data in test database and tune them there, but the thing is that my boss came and simply give me another work.
I'm pretty sure that next month he will come back and ask again.
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #149401 is a reply to message #148482] Thu, 01 December 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Yes Frank that is a good point and a good link to read through, which I obviously hadn't done recently enough. I would view the technique as a last resort, but yet still incomplete and not always but only sometimes helpful approach. Using production data, or at the very least fake data that is simulated to look and act and have the same volume as production data is the best way to go. Simulating production data would be second best to using real production data, although the simulation process itself can be time consuming and labor intensive in some situations.
Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #149490 is a reply to message #149401] Fri, 02 December 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I think you (Reza) will not be the first nor last DBA that is restricted from accessing the data there. To allow for performance-tuning and several other issues, access to the data is needed.
To being able to solve these issues, work on a way to 'anonymize' the data, rendering fake data.
This fake data should resemble the original in terms of histograms and index-skewness.
No short-term solution, I know, but in the long run it could help

hth
icon14.gif  Re: Performance tuning without accessing real data [message #149711 is a reply to message #149490] Sat, 03 December 2005 03:31 Go to previous message
rrawasi
Yes It is Labor intensive, but this is the only remained solution.
Previous Topic: Query tuning
Next Topic: Performance tuning--- Automatic workload repository (AWR &ADDM)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:39:04 CDT 2024