Home » Open Source » Programming Interfaces » Connect to remote Oracle 8.x from Solaris server with Apache/PHP?
icon5.gif  Connect to remote Oracle 8.x from Solaris server with Apache/PHP? [message #141228] Fri, 07 October 2005 10:51 Go to next message
Chewie71
I'm trying to find the best method to do the following and am looking for recommendations.

I need to connect to an Oracle 8.x database at another university using PHP on a local Solaris 8 webserver. We do have a local Oracle DB server on another Solaris system but it is totally unrelated to this current project. I'm not clear whether I can use anything from the local Oracle system to connect to the remote one using PHP or not.

I've looked at ORA and OCI but am not real clear if that's what I need(does Oracle have to run on the webserver?). Also found something called Zend but it looks like it only works with Windows and Linux.

An open source solution would be ideal.

I'm sure others out there are doing something like this. I'd love to hear your suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks,
Matt

[Updated on: Fri, 07 October 2005 10:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Connect to remote Oracle 8.x from Solaris server with Apache/PHP? [message #141319 is a reply to message #141228] Sat, 08 October 2005 12:37 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
You seem totally confused; not knowing the difference between a DB
server & a client application.
Are you 100% convinced that the folks who own the remote Oracle DB
will allow access to their DB from across the Internet?
You should be asking them about how to access their database.
Installing any s/w on YOUR system probably won't get you close
to what you claim to want to do.
For an open source "solution" visit these fine folks!
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
Previous Topic: PHP config error ocidfn.h file not found
Next Topic: OCI8 PHP BIG PROBLEM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:18:40 CDT 2024