Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » ERD or STAR SCHEMA
ERD or STAR SCHEMA [message #139517] Wed, 28 September 2005 07:45 Go to next message
singhsanjay

hello ,
i am designing a decision support system for the retail store, for that i need a database that will cantain all the information about the products ,sales etc.
as a usuall practice of designing a database is based on the ERD
i.e. we follows the ERD for creating the tables , but if u see the all the queries need to be answered are answered by the star schemma that means your tables would be different from the ones that were used in ERD . so
can anyone please help me out from this confussion which one should i follow for creating the datbase ERD or STAR SCHEMA.

regards
sanjay
Re: ERD or STAR SCHEMA [message #144335 is a reply to message #139517] Wed, 26 October 2005 01:40 Go to previous message
kiran
In designing of any datawarehouse (or) datamart the most commonly used schema types are Star Schema and Snowflake Schema.

Star Schema: In the star schema design, a single object (the fact table) sits in the middle and is radially connected to other surrounding objects (dimension lookup tables) like a star.

Snowflake Schema: The snowflake schema is an extension of the star schema, where each point of the star explodes into more points. The main advantage of the snowflake schema is the improvement in query performance and joining smaller lookup tables.

You can use any of these schemas for your data model.

Can you be bit clear on your post.

--Kiran.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 01:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Practice DW schema(s) wanted - Please! $$? (merged)
Next Topic: difference between dw and edw
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:25:43 CDT 2024