Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Poor Performance in Accessing Remote Database
Poor Performance in Accessing Remote Database [message #139019] Mon, 26 September 2005 05:39 Go to next message
genialsenthil
Hi,
I am using Oracle 10g as Server and Oracle 9i as Client. My application is developed in Visual Basic. Application is installed in all client machines. Server is in one city and Client is in 2 variouis cities (also with local network machines). But when I am attempting to access database from server it is very slow to access records even when executing a single statement like Update a row in 1 table. But the client machine in local network is fast. When other city users get connected to database and attempt to access the data, local network client machine gets very slow.

Current Configurations
----------------------
* Server is IBM server with configuration as 3.0 GHZ P IV Processor, 1.5gb RAM, 140gb Hdsk(SCSI Cable), dual processor, Windows 2003 OS installed.
* All clients are using the same oracle user and same tablespace for retriving and storing data.
* All tables are indexed perfectly (Compressed Index).
* Index is stored in different tablespace.
* All database options are in default settings.
* 3 different listener is configured for 3 cities in 3 different ports.
* There is 2 static IP Configured for server which is mapped through Hardware Firewall. I have configured 1 static IP for 2 cities.
* Internet in 2 other cities is 512 kbps Broadband.
* There are totally 20 systems each in 2 cities.
* Client Machines are minimum 128 MB Ram and PIII, PIV Processor and Windows 98 SE in all systems.
* In local network there are using aroung 45 systems.
* Database is 15 GB in size.
* All city users are having the equal rights to access the database in server machine, so we configured it as single user in oracle.

Let me know how to tune the database to access fast in all places. I will be very thankful for you if you can help me to make it fast.

With Advance Thanks and Regards,
Senthil Kumar .S
Re: Poor Performance in Accessing Remote Database [message #139028 is a reply to message #139019] Mon, 26 September 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
do your process ( update/insert whatever) directly in server.
if that is acceptable,
Then issue is with your network ( when accessing from clients).
Else, you need to tune your process.

Identify the sql and fix it.
Are you gathering statistics regulary.
Post the execution plan and statspack report.
Re: Poor Performance in Accessing Remote Database [message #139037 is a reply to message #139028] Mon, 26 September 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
genialsenthil
Hi,
Thankz for your reply. We have just installed it in 2 cities 3 days before. While demo itself we knew the slow process. We haven't enabled statspack in server. Pls let me know how to enable the statspack in the server. Let me know if any other options i have to activate in server...

With Thankz & Regards,
Senthil Kumar .S
Re: Poor Performance in Accessing Remote Database [message #139047 is a reply to message #139037] Mon, 26 September 2005 06:57 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Identify the offending sql / module and try to fix it.
start from there. Else , it will be a wild goose chase.
Or May be the issue is with the application ( persistent connections).

http://www.cs.umb.edu/cs634/ora9idocs/server.920/a96533/statspac.htm

>>We have just installed it in 2 cities 3 days before
Installed what?
Client application?
First look into the server.
Previous Topic: Procedure tunning
Next Topic: Use PCTfree/Initran/Maxtran to prevent contention
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:30:08 CDT 2024