Home » Non-English Forums » Portuguese » Problem storing text on a BLOB column if language is Portuguese
Problem storing text on a BLOB column if language is Portuguese [message #136202] Tue, 06 September 2005 12:53
jvargem
Hi,
through PL/SQL procedures I'm gathering several information from our user tables and creating a XML file which I store on a BLOB column. My problem is that this all works fine in English, but fails when I use Portuguese language.
Part of the XML file is static, so I have it stored in VARCHAR2 variables in the stored procedures. The remaining text is loaded from the user tables. I'm storing the VARCHAR2 variables into the BLOB column using the following command:

DBMS_LOB.writeappend(XML_DEST, LENGTH(<variable>), UTL_RAW.CAST_TO_RAW(<variable>));

As I said above, if I change the session NLS_LANGUAGE to PORTUGUESE, the text stored in the BLOB column gets some strange characters which prevent the XML file from being read! The data is exactly the same in both languages, so the problem doesn't come from there.
I'm guessing that maybe this has something to do with the character set used by both languages and this affects the VARCHAR2 to RAW conversion, but I really don't know. I've been banging my head on this for over a week know and besides a headache, I haven't been able to advance a thing in trying to solve this.
Do you have any ideas or solution for me? Thanks a lot.

PS) I'm uploading a zip file containing both results for both languages, in case you may which to take a look.
Next Topic: Portuguese characters are not displayed properly after import
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:45:58 CDT 2024