Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » index performing bad
index performing bad [message #133498] Fri, 19 August 2005 06:54 Go to next message
sebastianR
hi,

i want to tune a select query by using a concatenated index on two columns of my table.

one of the fields the index is on is KEY_VAL a VARCHAR2 with selectivity: 640 000 / 870 000

The other one (END_DATE) is rather unselective but in combination with it should be selective?
15 / 870 000

My index looks like this:
CREATE INDEX IDX_1 ON TABLE_OBJ_KEY
("TABLE"."ISDATENULL"("END_DATE"), UPPER("KEY_VAL"))

Where isdatenull is a simple function which asks if "date is null" ... (FBI for date comparison).

my query:
  select distinct COL_1, 3742
 from TABLE_1 T1
 where T1.end_date>sysdate
 --- THE FOLLOWING QUERY IS INDEXED ----
 UNION ALL SELECT DISTINCT COL_1, 3742 
 FROM TABLE_1 T1  
 WHERE isdatenull(T1.END_DATE) = '1'   
 AND UPPER(T1.KEY_VAL) LIKE UPPER('%125')
 -- THE CODE BELOW IS NOT IMPORTANT ------
 UNION ALL SELECT DISTINCT T2.KEY_ID, 3742 
 FROM TABLE_2 T2 
 WHERE UPPER(T2.PUID) LIKE UPPER('%125') 

Ok, the index is working, and it's faster as a table access full scan, but only in the following cases:

KEY_VAL = '%12345%'
KEY_VAL = '%1234'
KEY_VAL = '123%'

So the problem is, unlike the table scan which performs with a constant execution time of about 1,7 seconds, my new index performs in dependece on what the user enters at KEY_VAL.

Deadly slow is selectivity when KEY_VAL = '%12' for example (34 seconds).

I understand why, at least I guess, because nearly every row matches '%12', the index range scan will return nearly the whole table, right? So there are many many table accesses by index rowid, right?

I do fully understand why the index is slower in this case, but I would appreciate an explanation WHY and HOW this slowness occurs.
index scan returns many rows (nearly all), for each row there is a table scan by rowid, ... why is this slower than a full table scan?

And why doesn't the CBO do a full table scan in this case?
Cost of index explain plan is 50.
Cost of TAF explain plan is 588.
how am i going to control when the table access full scan should be made?

Thank you for helping me out,
I appreciate every comment, suggestion, etc.,

Sebastian

Re: index performing bad [message #133512 is a reply to message #133498] Fri, 19 August 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sebastianR
Ok, I figured out that I didn't analyze the table and the index, so the cost calculation was wrong.

I know did it, but it seems the CBO isn't accurate enough, it switches to full table access at KEY_VALUE = '1%' but still uses the index when KEY_VALUE = '12%' but the time needed is bigger as the full table access.

sebastian
Re: index performing bad [message #133515 is a reply to message #133512] Fri, 19 August 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>so the cost calculation was wrong.
Never consider COST as a measure for performance.
It is just a derived number. High / Low cost has nothing to do with performance.
Re: index performing bad [message #133518 is a reply to message #133515] Fri, 19 August 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JSI2001
Quote:

. why is this slower than a full table scan?

FTS can do multiblock reads (i.e. pull more than 1 block into memory on each 'pass') Default is 8 blocks.
CBO bases much of its decision on Cluster factor, it doesn't REALLY care about selectivity, it cares about 'how many blocks will I have to bring into memory to get the information that has been asked for'

I would strongly suggest that you read up on the CBO
have a look here http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/optimops.htm#35891 for starters.

HTH
Jim
Re: index performing bad [message #133530 is a reply to message #133498] Fri, 19 August 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Jim hit it on the multiblock advantage of the fts. Although, a FFS index scan can do multiblock as well, it would mean reading the entire index, leaf and branch in all, into memory and treating that as if it were a table.

Also, I would think histograms would be very important in your case. How exactly did you gather statistics? I'd suggest something along the lines of

dbms_stats.gather_table_stats(owner,table,cascade=>true,method_opt=>'for all indexed columns size 250');

Also I would think there will be a big difference between a query containing

like '%12'

and one containing

like '12%'

Unless I'm misreading the above, it looks like you are using the two interchangeably, and while I don't currently have a test to prove they will perform very differently (maybe I'll work on one and find out), I'm pretty sure having the wildcard at the beginning will be very different than having it at the end, meaning they aren't interchangeable performance wise.
Re: index performing bad [message #133540 is a reply to message #133530] Fri, 19 August 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sebastianR
Thank you for the link @JSI2001, I'm studying right now.

As a matter of fact I didn't collect any statistics at all except for using ANALYZE on my table and index on which i try to improve performance (I've read know, that it is better to use DBMS_STATS, and I am trying to get that to work). I also understand why to use histograms and I will going to use them.

@smartin
You are right, I already encountered the difference when using indexes on LIKE comparisons and the difference between '%12' and '12%'.
There is a difference on performance but I still actually wonder why my index is used at all, in cases like '%12', because I've tried indexing a column (not a concatenated index) compared to '%12' and the index was not used.
Is this because i use a concatenated index? I've read that indexes on LIKE-comparisons (with wildcards?) don't work at all but i think that is not true?

I've also read about a workaround for this '%12' case, where it is possible to use reverse() and altering the WHERE-clause but I didn't use it because my concatenated index was used nevertheless and i have enough other things to work at for now Smile

So the cost is the factor for CBO to determine which plan to execute, right? So at the moment I am not satisfied with the CBO to chose index range scan before full table scan, that means my first approach should be collecting statistics, in particular histograms (because of the indensity) so mayble the CBO chooses my empirically faster plan already.

One question about altering optimizer options which for now I won't do: How does one estimate the overall change of executing plans when altering the optimzer options because of tuning a specific SQL-statement? Is this approach legitimate at all? In my opinion this would be really careless.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Sebastian
Re: index performing bad [message #133543 is a reply to message #133498] Fri, 19 August 2005 09:25 Go to previous message
smartin
If by altering optimizer options you just mean gathering stats, then I think the more information you can provide to CBO the better.

But if you mean things like the optimizer_mode and othr parameters, then yes you should definitely be aware of the global effect these changes would have on your database. I find it best to set these values to what you think (and test in development to prove) would be the "best" settings at the global level for "most" of the work the db will do.

Then you can temporarily alter them at the local level for specific queries or transactions or applications by using things like the all rows or first rows hints, or alter session statements.

Previous Topic: Strange Database Shutdowns
Next Topic: Hints on a poor performing view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:34:21 CDT 2024