Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Application Tuning
Application Tuning [message #131028] Thu, 04 August 2005 00:38 Go to next message
milind_sri
Hi Gurus,

I have a problem. Actually, I am not clear to what areas i should look in. We are using Oracle 9.2.0.6 as a back end and .NET as front end. O.S. is Win XP.

I have tuned some queries which when run through PL/SQL developer a tool,the queries gives me sub-second response.
But, when they are executed through front end it takes time.

I think some application tuning is required and I am not clear about to what points i should look for which are causing performance bottleneks for the application.

Can u experts suggest me those areas that what is to be reduced and what has to be increased so that my application works faster.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Milind.
Re: Application Tuning [message #131227 is a reply to message #131028] Thu, 04 August 2005 22:23 Go to previous message
joeancell
Miling,

I think you can check into the following points:
1) Are you dealing with large dataset? If so, are you using DataReader instead of DataSet? DataReader will allow you read data row by row therefore you get better response time, while DataSet will cache all records when you call Fill() and so it will wait until every row is retrieved from Database.

2) Are you using System.Data.OracleClient or you use OracleClient from Oracle .Net Data Provider? Different implementation provide different performance, I personally like the one provided by Microsoft.

3) Could it be the way data is presented itself is slow? You can add some timer to check how long it takes to retrieve data and how long it takes to display it, maybe the performance problme has to do with the display?

Joean
Previous Topic: Best way to figure out bad sql in the database
Next Topic: Help me in tune my database PLZ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:23:09 CDT 2024