Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Looking for a little direction for a new project
Looking for a little direction for a new project [message #129296] Sat, 23 July 2005 08:19
collbmi
Hey folks!

I am about to start on a rather large project and thought I would stop and see what is out there rather than do things the same old way. Nothing wrong with the way I have done things, but maybe I have been asleep and the world has moved on? I would like to avoid using any of the buzzwords that might taint someone's impression of what it is that I am trying to accomplish.

We have some 50 million items that have been sold across the country which is divided into a 4 level hierarchy; think city, county, state, area and country as a whole.

At the city level I have two breakouts that need to be reported; the sales channel and a pricing tier. The sales channel is static, however; the pricing tier changes regularly based on cost groupings or ranges. There are 10 tiers, each with an associated price range. These ranges change based on input from Marketing.

The reports are to be delivered as web pages to the users. Each report needs to have 4 basic sections; Daily, MTD ( Month To Date ), YTD ( Year To Date ) and YOY ( Year over Year ). The YOY requirement gives me the most pause. It needs to show the data re-aligned to the new tiers. This is complicated, or simplified, by the fact that the user can look at any older report previously presented. These reports have to have the current alignments applied to the data.

The data has to be stored in an Oracle DB, but I have total control on what tools we use, Oracle branded or otherwise. What are your thoughts on this? Do you have a few URLs to point to? Any help would be quite appreciated. I am not asking for code, just approaches.

In the meantime, I am making Google's hard drives spin a little.

thanks,
Michael
Previous Topic: change text size in htp.formselectoption
Next Topic: Configuration of OAS10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:07:29 CDT 2024