Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Should is use separate OS users per RDBMS version?
Should is use separate OS users per RDBMS version? [message #121004] Wed, 25 May 2005 06:46 Go to next message
o011rie
Hello,

I have installed 10g besides our 8i software. The OS users that owns the 8i is named oracle8 and the OS user oracle10 owns the 10g software.

We have a discussion going if we made the right choice. Should we have used one OS user that owns all the RDBMS software or should we did we made the right choice?

What are the pros and cons between these two?

Thanks in advance,

André

ps. we use HP-UX
Re: Should is use separate OS users per RDBMS version? [message #121016 is a reply to message #121004] Wed, 25 May 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

U can install 2 or more different ORacle versions under same user. The only pre-requisite is that the Oracle Homes where the actual software get installed should be different.

Regds
Girish
Re: Should is use separate OS users per RDBMS version? [message #121061 is a reply to message #121016] Wed, 25 May 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
o011rie
I am aware of this option, but what is de best option and why. Should I use one or two users.
Re: Should is use separate OS users per RDBMS version? [message #121069 is a reply to message #121061] Wed, 25 May 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Probably having separate users will help in ur case, as in that case u can set the default values including oracle home, oracle base etc.. separately in each users own profile.
In case u use single user, u may need to make the changes in default parameter settings manually for at least one of these installtions.

Otherwise I don't think u should be facing any other issue.
Re: Should is use separate OS users per RDBMS version? [message #121080 is a reply to message #121069] Wed, 25 May 2005 17:31 Go to previous message
andrew again
personally I'd use a single user. It's easy enough to keep environments separate and you won't have files in the same directories having different owners. It's no fun to be 1/2 way through an installation only have it fail because the file it's writing to is owned by someone else. OraInventory is a directory which comes to mind. I would use different users if I have different groups of administrators and only wanted them to have access to their stuff.
Previous Topic: HELP!!Unix variables not visible under Oracle!!!
Next Topic: 10g Installation on Sun Solaris
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:04:00 CDT 2024