Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Performance problem!!
Performance problem!! [message #120694] Mon, 23 May 2005 00:34 Go to next message
kinjal
Hi,

I have oracle 8i database and Red Hat Linux 7.2
Min 50 clients are there at a time..

Now the thing is I have checked performance of oracle by viewing different ratios and its perfect..

The thing is if I check process management in linux then 80% of the resources are occupied by Java (My application is in Java)

I dont have much idea of java and process management..
And the thing is my queries are taking much time to get processed..

I am not able to make out whether the problem is with oracle or with the java programming or process management in linux..
So can anyone guide me where exactly the problem is?

Thanking you in advance..
Re: Performance problem!! [message #120748 is a reply to message #120694] Mon, 23 May 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Ratios don't really mean anything. Suggest reading the oracle concepts guide and oracle performance tuning guide (the 10g version, although some of it won't be applicable to you at 8i a lot will). Also consider an upgrade to a supported oracle version. Also test your queries inside sqlplus without your java program running at all, to remove the java element from the equation. If the queries performance is fine, then you know it is your java causing the problem.
Re: Performance problem!! [message #120754 is a reply to message #120748] Mon, 23 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
smartin wrote:
>>Ratios don't really mean anything

Very true.
You can 'TUNE' your database to any desired hit-ratio, without getting any performance.
Connor Mcdonald has clearly demonstrated this.
http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/choose.htm

The most frequent issues i have faced with java are
with connection pooling and persistent connections.
For some reasons, certain java applications always use a persistent connection. In simple words, a connection is established to a the database when the application is started and is left open throughout ( instead closing the connection after DBjob is done).
so a channel for communication is always left open, which deteriorates over time as they do all the work in this channel!.
Java developers really like to have the 'control' with them.
They do all computes,complex calculations,joins,sorts,orderby, transaction controls,integrity checks and constraints,read consistency( by commiting every other record in a batch load!!!) within java, where 90% of these can be easily handled by database.
Handling these in application level add the burden for application.

So please look into application first.
In database,to start with, make sure your queries are utilizing the right indexes and tables/indexes are properly analyzed.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:52]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: activating Online Index Build
Next Topic: Batch Tuning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 23:41:34 CDT 2024