Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RAC & Redo logs
RAC & Redo logs [message #119012] Tue, 10 May 2005 05:11 Go to next message
hero
As far as the docs say "Each instance has its own online redo log groups which are called an instance's
thread of online redo". My question is: can I put the redo logs of a given instance to local fs ( not
visible from other nodes ) , or at least can I put one member(multiplexed copy) of the group to local fs and the other members to cluster fs or asm ?
Re: RAC & Redo logs [message #119097 is a reply to message #119012] Tue, 10 May 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Although each instance must have its own thread of redo, they must still reside on share storage. If a node fails, an instance on another node should be able to access these logs to perform instance recovery.

So, put your redo logs on a clustered filesystem, shared raw volumes or shared ASM disks. You can mix and match between these to your heart's content, but don't use local filsystems!

Best regards.

Frank
Re: RAC & Redo logs [message #119101 is a reply to message #119097] Tue, 10 May 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hero
ok, but if the redos are multiplexed and only one copy
is on local file system, would there be any problem during
instance recovery ? There will be at least one copy available
for recovery.

The reason why I'm asking is: we have one dual raid array,
but in case of its failure, I need to multiplex the
redos somewhere else. buying extra shared storage for this is
expensive.

I've also tried archiving redos using LGWR flag , they're
written on local disk continuously - but what a shame, they are
not usable for DB recovery - I wonder why .

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RAC & Redo logs [message #119242 is a reply to message #119101] Wed, 11 May 2005 08:01 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Theoretically it sounds like it might work. However, since your setup will be pretty unique, I suggest you setup a test environment to certify your config before going life.

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: installing crs froma diff node and DB in diff node, will it work??
Next Topic: New to RAC, have question re failover, pls help!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:05:03 CDT 2024