Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO
Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO [message #116968] Wed, 23 October 2002 15:36 Go to next message
Ra
Greetings all,

For the life of me I cannot get NET SEND to work on windows XP (I have never used this feature before as I've just discovered it).

I've tried using the command line syntax:

Net send IPaddress message

Doesn't work.

I've tried using the GUI for NET SEND, still no go.

When using the command line prompt, I keep getting the message, "machine alias not found on this network," or something like that.

I have searched and search the newsgroups and web on how to use net send properly. Feel like I've tried everything, and still I can't get such an (apparently) simple function to work.

Any ideas anyone?

thanx

RA
Re: Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO [message #116969 is a reply to message #116968] Sun, 27 October 2002 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RYAN
what format are you using to send the message, it should be something like this, net send xxxxxxx test

where the x=user name or workstation name and test= meassage
try this and let me know.
Re: Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO [message #116982 is a reply to message #116968] Sun, 01 December 2002 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam
in xp pro open the command prompt, type net send x.x.x.x then your message, works perfectly for me and I've done no tweaking..

exactly the same as over a lan.. also, it works in 95, 98, and ME, not just XP or NT
Re: Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO [message #116989 is a reply to message #116968] Wed, 11 December 2002 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
james pether
yeah man i can use net send at school ( heheh the teacher got a few messages) on the LAN but not on the internet to my???
weird
Re: Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO [message #116994 is a reply to message #116968] Thu, 02 January 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gordo
I can send a message thru XP Pro but for some reason I can't receive messages. My machine just beeps when the message is sent but does not display it. Any ideas?
Re: Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO [message #117011 is a reply to message #116968] Fri, 31 January 2003 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
You can send net send messages across the internet only if you have an isp like road runner, this because road runner users are all on the same ip network, like a giant lan, you would obviously have to use an ip address instead of host name in the command and you would only be able to send the net messages to other users on that are on the road runner network.
Re: Getting NET SEND to work on WinXP PRO [message #117013 is a reply to message #116968] Mon, 03 February 2003 07:35 Go to previous message
ThoR
The Messenger Service must be Started!!
Look for a voice Messenger in the services for XP (administrative tools -> services)
Previous Topic: Sql*loader : loading a MVS format
Next Topic: Re: SOLUTION for problem of loading oracle9i with 6i in pentium 4 processor machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:47:23 CDT 2024