Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Connecting 2 databases with discoverer  () 1 Vote
Connecting 2 databases with discoverer [message #116157] Mon, 18 April 2005 05:21 Go to next message
batsandall
Hi,

We would like to connect discoverer with 2 databases:
1 is for Oracle Application (to access some packages), the other one contains our datawarehouse.

Is that possible with Discoverer 9i ? Our contractors don't sem to be able to do it...
Re: Connecting 2 databases with discoverer [message #116272 is a reply to message #116157] Tue, 19 April 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dn_id
In order to access your database in the discoverer you will need to create an EUL. That can be generated using Oracle Discoverer Administrator. The EUL(End User Layer) provides abstraction to your database from the discoverer Users.

After creation of the EUL you can use the filtered view of database in the discoverer Plus to design reports. Later the users can view the reports in Discoverer Viewer.

Before the creation of the EUL Make sure about the allocation of the following privileges :

1) create user in the database. You will use this user to create EUL as well as while connecting to discoverer tools.

Grant user the following privileges :

i. Connect
ii. Resource
iii. Create Session
iv. Create Table
v. Create View
vi. Create Sequence
vii. Create Procedure
viii. Create user
ix. Grant any privilege
x. Alter user
xi. Unlimited tablespace

2) Create necessary tables and views. We can also generate views here that can be selected as predefined report in the EUL and eventually in the discoverer tools.

3) The other privileges required for the user to execute functionalities in the discoverer tools :

i. Create materialized view
ii. Create any materialized view
iii. Alter any materialized view
iv. Drop any materialized view
v. EXECUTE ANY PROCEDURE
vi. EXECUTE ON SYS.DBMS_JOB
vii. SELECT ON V_$PARAMETER
viii. SELECT ANY TABLE
ix. GLOBAL QUERY
x. ANALYZE ANY

Hope this will help you,
Re: Connecting 2 databases with discoverer [message #116291 is a reply to message #116272] Tue, 19 April 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
batsandall
This procedure is to create an EUL based on 1 database. My problem is to create an EUL with tables from 2 different databases or with tables from 1 database and function from another one.

Is it possible to achieve this ?
Re: Connecting 2 databases with discoverer [message #116295 is a reply to message #116157] Tue, 19 April 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dn_id
I am not sure about 9i, But you can check the concept of "EUL Gateway" if at all it presents there.

Using EUL Gateway it is possible to connect the remote database.
Re: Connecting 2 databases with discoverer [message #116742 is a reply to message #116157] Thu, 21 April 2005 15:23 Go to previous message
skooman
Batsandall,

You can simply create a databaselink (assuming the datawarehouse is an Oracle database too, that is). I've used it, works fine.
Work out your security very well when using database links, by the way (but that's not only important for Discoverer...).

Regards,
Sabine

PS because the EUL on applications requires some specific functions etc., first create that EUL and that start adding folders trough the database link. Preferably not the other way around.
Previous Topic: Hiding Repeating Frame
Next Topic: Can we use self joins in Oracle Discoverer Desktop edition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 21:51:40 CDT 2024