Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Do use persistent connections or new connections to Oracle for DB calls
Do use persistent connections or new connections to Oracle for DB calls [message #113908] Sat, 03 May 2003 19:30 Go to next message
Gia McNerney
I was wondering what other Companies did when connecting into Oracle.

We have an average of over 45,000 connections into one of our Oracle databases within a 24 hour period. The majority of these connections - connect, do their statement(s) and then disconnect. We also have some, guesstimate of 15%, that connect at the time the application being started and stay until the application is recycled - whereas each sql statement goes through one of these open connections.

Very curious how other Companies handle their connections.

Gia
Re: Do use persistent connections or new connections to Oracle for DB calls [message #113922 is a reply to message #113908] Wed, 11 June 2003 11:12 Go to previous message
Jim Gillespie
: I was wondering what other Companies did when connecting into Oracle.

: We have an average of over 45,000 connections into one of our Oracle databases within a 24 hour period. The majority of these connections - connect, do their statement(s) and then disconnect. We also have some, guesstimate of 15%, that connect at the time the application being started and stay until the application is recycled - whereas each sql statement goes through one of these open connections.

: Very curious how other Companies handle their connections.

: Gia

Gia,

Most applications that I have seen have a server that initiates the connections. The users go thru the app server and it pushes them thru on of the connections. This is good for perfomance but because all the database connections are the app server debugging and tuning is difficult for the dba.

Jim
Previous Topic: empty field in oracle
Next Topic: SQL*Plus edit pds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:12:02 CDT 2024