Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Not Even Really Started
Not Even Really Started [message #1050] Mon, 25 March 2002 23:41 Go to next message
Sfinx
I use MS Acces as a dbms. I don't use SQL yet.
Now I'm learning SQL with SQL*Plus. I understand that SQL*PLus is a tool to use SQL.
But what does Oracle got to do with it? How can I get a look at my tables, queries, form(?) in Oracle?
It's mysterious for me. Please help. Use baby-language, please.

Thanks!
Re: Not Even Really Started [message #1055 is a reply to message #1050] Tue, 26 March 2002 01:25 Go to previous message
Epe
Yow,

you can see a table with the "desc" command followed by the tablename. Type (don't copy the prompt):
SQL> desc emp
(this will give you the attributes of the emp table)

Look upon SQL*Plus as an sql-editor.
What has Oracle got to do with it ?
If you open SQL*Plus, you first have to connect to a (Oracle)database by typing username, password and database name (I suppose your SQL*Plus comes asking for these things. If not, try with typing :
SQL> connect username/password@databasename;
)
When you are connected, you can access the database.
You can type sql-statements to select something from the database (or delete, insert, alter, ...).
There is one thing you might miss in SQL*Plus if you're used to Access : a graphical interface. You'll have to know the database you're working with, or keep a visual representation on paper (There are other tools that do have a graphical interface, but not SQL*Plus).

Success !!

Epe
Previous Topic: SQL Query
Next Topic: Retrun a single row based on a row index specified as a function parameter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:23:08 CDT 2024