Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » what to tune first
what to tune first [message #111747] Sat, 19 March 2005 04:26 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
Messages: 506
Registered: March 2005
Senior Member
hi

I am sunil mishra & in interview of IBM for DBA they asked me question

Question : If someone tells you to tune database What you are going to tune first and why?

... i only need answer of my question so that i can know my answer was right or wrong.

thank you

sunil
Re: what to tune first [message #111783 is a reply to message #111747] Sun, 20 March 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Messages: 1803
Registered: March 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Senior Member
You would need to know more about the situation to have any meaningful response.
Re: what to tune first [message #111963 is a reply to message #111783] Tue, 22 March 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
Messages: 506
Registered: March 2005
Senior Member
hi

well in my interview i had given answer that ... 75-80% side tunning is doen by user who develop application by doing normalization of table etc. and the rest 20% is doen on Database side ... so if someone tell me to tune database then i will do SQL tuning first because on database side tunning if Sql are tunned then most of problem of database is solved...please suggest me if you think what i had answered was wrong

thank your very much smartin and frank

regards
sunil
Re: what to tune first [message #112375 is a reply to message #111747] Thu, 24 March 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Metzer
Messages: 2478
Registered: December 2002
Senior Member
Sunil,

You should definitely read this, Chapter 1 from Millsap and Holt's Optimizing Oracle Performance.

Here is the relevant pull quote, from page 12:
Quote:

Work first to reduce the biggest response time component of a business' most important user action.
Re: what to tune first [message #112413 is a reply to message #112375] Thu, 24 March 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
Messages: 506
Registered: March 2005
Senior Member
hi

thank you Art Metzer.... for your suggestion... but as i have very hectic schedule its difficult for me to buy that book .. can u send me link of web through which i can .... get knolwedge releated to performace tuning & wat to tune first ...

take care

yours faithfully
sunil
Re: what to tune first [message #112427 is a reply to message #112413] Fri, 25 March 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Messages: 10694
Registered: March 2002
Location: oracleDocoVille
Senior Member
Account Moderator
>> but as i have very hectic schedule its difficult for me to buy that book?

Would you like it delivered to your house by priority mail?
Re: what to tune first [message #112519 is a reply to message #112413] Sat, 26 March 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_dba
Messages: 16
Registered: March 2005
Location: chandigarh
Junior Member

ur answer is absolutely right
bcoz mainly developers have to tune 1st
regards
icon7.gif  Re: what to tune first [message #112728 is a reply to message #112519] Mon, 28 March 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
Messages: 506
Registered: March 2005
Senior Member
hi

thank you for your reply .... and to be very honest now i am feeling more confident .. coz my answer in interview was nice and correct ..

yours faithfully
sunil.
My mobile number:- +91-9871147781
Re: what to tune first [message #113095 is a reply to message #112728] Wed, 30 March 2005 20:19 Go to previous message
andrew again
Messages: 2577
Registered: March 2000
Senior Member
See this link:

http://miracleas.dk/tools/YAPP_Tuning_Final.pdf
or alternatively
http://my.oraperf.com/logon.html?rpage=download.php/yapp_anjo_kolk.pdf

Previous Topic: Tuning a query
Next Topic: Selecting data out of a partition
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Sep 30 11:57:11 CDT 2020