Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Timesheet Report
icon5.gif  Timesheet Report [message #111238] Mon, 14 March 2005 19:44 Go to next message
discoman
I'm trying to create a timesheet report. I have no privileges to manipulate the database, just to query. The report will display all the hours worked etc. for 1 employee. I have two questions.

Note: I am using Discoverer 9.0, Desktop and Administrator versions.

1. Query
I've written the query, and hardcoded some values for the start and end date, and the username. However, I will want to change these based on parameters the user will pass in from the report.

I put the query in a new CustomFolder I created in the EUL. Then I created the report based on this CustomFolder. But how can I change it so that the query will use the parameters instead of my hardcoded values? If I try writing :var_name, it SQL query won't validate. I thought of just hardcoding my start and end dates to a huge range, and then I could just add extra CONDITIONS inside the report to narrow this down, but this is unacceptable.

2. Report formatting
I want to create a small separate box near under the main results of the report that summarizes stuff like vacation hours, OT hours etc. Is it possible to do this in Discoverer Reports?

I also want to add some signature lines, so that would require grabbing some names and adding some lines. Is this also possible? I was thinking of putting this signature line stuff in the Footer, but how to extract query results? I would also need a different query than what is used to get the main data (the hours).

Thanks!
Re: Timesheet Report [message #113186 is a reply to message #111238] Thu, 31 March 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
1) you can't define parameters in the sql you enter in the Discoverer Administrator Edition. The concept is that the end-user does enter the parameter values only in the User Edition. So, what you could do:
- create a customer folder in the EUL with the statement you need, without parameters*
- create the workbook, add the parameters in there, corresponding with a filter.

* Actually, I not too fond of SQL statements in custom folders. Most organisations do have versioning in some way or another for tables, views etc. but a custom folder might easily be overlooked. I would prefer to:
(a) load all the required tables into folders and then
(a1) create a workbook in the End User Edition, selecting the data you need or
(a2) create a complex folder, "dragging" all the columns you need from the created table-based-folders to the complex folders
or
(b) create a "true" database view and create a folder in the EUL referencing that folder.

2) I'm not sure what you want to accomplish. But if you mean "limited" data in the footer (ie username), then you can do so by making a parameter (not linked to a condition) with a calculation behind it, referencing the function "user".
Re: Timesheet Report [message #115775 is a reply to message #111238] Thu, 14 April 2005 06:56 Go to previous message
paulald
Hiya,
The formatting you mention (adding a summary box at the bottom) isn't possible in Discoverer. This is the kind of thing that can be done in Business Objects if you really need to do it. Discoverer is more for analysis of information than display.
Previous Topic: Outer joins between queries
Next Topic: connectivity between report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 22:25:06 CDT 2024