Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Matrix Report Grand Totals
Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #110567] Tue, 08 March 2005 13:56 Go to next message
Steve Corey
Let me begin by stating how much I abhore Oracle Reports Builder (worst.POS.ever)

Now, can anybody tell me how to calculate a grand total for a matrix report with the following specs:

Data Model:
Group = Job Category
Row = Jobclass, Paygrade
Column = Gender
Cells = Counts of various ethnicities

Matrix occurs between Jobclass and Gender (rather, the Cross GRPFR is JobClass & Gender groups)

Now, I have totals being calculated for rows:
Total Male ethnicities per Job Class
Total Female ethnicities per Job Class
Total ethnicities per Job Class (Male + Female)

I also have totals calculated for columns:
Total Males per Job Category
Total Females per Job Category
Total caucasions per job category
Total african-americans per job category
Total hispanic per job category
etc. etc.

I also have a total calculated for the total row (sums the entire Total column) to give me the number of records fetched. Currently, this is the only grand total sum that is working.
I need grand total sums for the following columns:

Total Males per Report
Total Females per Report
Total Male Caucasion per Report
Total Male African-American per Report
Total Female Caucasion per Report
Total Female African-American per Report

Can anybody help me now that I have provided as much detail as I possibly can?
icon5.gif  Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #110675 is a reply to message #110567] Wed, 09 March 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Corey
Since nobody seems to know what I'm referring to I will attempt to clarify:

My report has 3 levels of totals, listed lowest to highest:
1) Class
2) Category
3) Grand Total

Class totals and Category totals calculate fine both inside and outside of matrix.

Grand total calculations, whether inside, or outside of the matrix, are returning the same numbers for both genders. As I noted in my first post, the matrix occurs between CLASS and GENDER. Why then, can I not get a grand total set for MALE and a grand total set for FEMALE? Why would the category level be working and not the grand total? It's almost like I need a Product Order of GENDER, REPORT but I know this does not exist. Any help/suggestions are welcome.
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #110807 is a reply to message #110567] Thu, 10 March 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Corey
close to 50 views and nobody can offer any help? Do I need to explain more clearly?
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #110878 is a reply to message #110807] Thu, 10 March 2005 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
There are very few people really familiar with Reports, so a little patience can't hurt...

Now, as for your question: have you looked at the 'summary columns' yet? Have you looked at the 'formula columns' yet?

I don't have Reports around right now (and I haven't used it for some months now) so I can't check nor help you in detail. I can, however, point you to the Oracle forums. Register yourself for free and follow this link.

HTH,
MHE
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #110895 is a reply to message #110567] Thu, 10 March 2005 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Corey
Maaher -

Thank you for the link. Is it true that Reports is an unfamiliar developing tool? Are there alternatives that are relatively easy to integrate with Applications?

I suppose it couldn't hurt to have some patience... I'll keep looking into it in the interm.

Thanks again,
Steve
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #110898 is a reply to message #110895] Thu, 10 March 2005 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Well, let's just say that Reports is not the easiest tool around for reporting. It's not unfamiliar in general but there are just not that many people around that have true hands-on experience with more complex reports (let alone matrix reports...)

MHE
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #110956 is a reply to message #110898] Fri, 11 March 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Corey
Maaher wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 19:50

Well, let's just say that Reports is not the easiest tool around for reporting
MHE

Hah! That is truly putting it lightly Laughing
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #111188 is a reply to message #110567] Mon, 14 March 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Corey
well apparently, there is an issue with Report Builder and the way it treats matrix reports vs. matrix with group reports. As I understand it, matrix with group reports treat each group as its own matrix report. This would explain why I am having such difficulty integrating grand totals inside the matrix. There is a fix posted on metalink (DOC ID = 70257.1), however it is over 4 years old and the directions seem to be written very poorly.

What this document states is that you design your matrix with group report as I have and then you have to destroy the data model's cross product group, recreate the matrix, and then run the report wizard as a regular matrix report. This way, the report keeps its break at the group level, but also allows you to generate totals at the report level. This is quite an involved process and I have had difficulty integrating it fully to obtain the desired results. I have sent my .RDF to Oracle support in hopes that they can identify any issues that I may have missed. If I get any good help, I'll share it here.

Thanks,
Steve
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #111206 is a reply to message #111188] Mon, 14 March 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Hope they can figure it out (doubt it, but it's worth a shot).

MHE
Re: Matrix Report Grand Totals [message #111208 is a reply to message #111206] Mon, 14 March 2005 13:26 Go to previous message
Steve Corey
There has to be someone that has had this issue before where they spent all this time creating a very complex statistical report and then when all they had to do was generate totals for the report, they got slapped in the face with this functionality issue. I find it very hard to believe that this is a "new" issue and even more surprised that between metalink, OTN, and this forum, nobody has had the same problem or knows a work-around.

Thanks for the moral support though! Cool

Steve
Previous Topic: Fetch out of Sequence in Report
Next Topic: Printing Pages in Reports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 21:24:00 CDT 2024