Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Solaris: Change of domain name
Solaris: Change of domain name [message #109793] Mon, 28 February 2005 23:12 Go to next message
sam0murphy
Hi,

Env:
Solaris 8 on E250 and Sparc20
Using DNS

Our company has just gone through a merger and we're now adapting a new name. All our Oracle db and apps/web servers currently have domain name as "abc.com". Now it will become "def.com". I have some ideas on which files to change (eg. /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, and the DNS db.xxx zone files).

I just wanted to get some guidelines on how to go about with the change from old domain to new domain. which changes first?

Has any Unix guru out there done a change in the server's domain name? Any pointers/tips/websites much appreciated.

Rgds,
Sam
Re: Solaris: Change of domain name [message #109901 is a reply to message #109793] Tue, 01 March 2005 15:22 Go to previous message
andrew again
best to check on metalink.oracle.com for the 100% answer.

Some old products (like OWS I think) take the hostname at installation time and built it into the binary files.

/etc/hosts as well as files like /etc/nodename, /etc/net/tocots/hosts, /etc/net/ticotsord/hosts and any files in /etc whose name begins with "hostname" would also be candidate Unix files impacted.

Try something like this under etc or your oracle_base (pipe through "strings" to keep the output clean)...
find . -follow -name "*" -exec grep -i ABC {} \; -print

Previous Topic: Change ORATAB Location
Next Topic: Execute Oracle procedure from UNIX prompt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:58:02 CDT 2024