Home » Other » Training & Certification » Carrer Advice: Experience vs. Certification
Carrer Advice: Experience vs. Certification [message #106296] Sat, 08 February 2003 12:41 Go to next message
jk
I'm seeking career advice please, and would be glad for any feedback.

I'm about to "retire" from military and start a second career next year. I want to work as an Oracle DBA, and am about to embark on 9i OCA/OCP certification from Oracle University. However, I will not have any experience as a DBA. So my question is: will certification alone be enough to help me gain a junior (entry-level) DBA job? Or will the lack of experience be the over-riding factor?

Thanks for any feedback/advice.

Feel free to send private response to my email: JerryKain@Yahoo.com
Re: Carrer Advice: Experience vs. Certification [message #106297 is a reply to message #106296] Sun, 09 February 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael R. Ault
The market should be poised for a new flurry of projects requiring DBAs of all skill levels. Make sure you have a WIN2K or Linux server loaded with Oracle9iR2 you can "play" on to enhance your learning skills. Given the choice I would choose Linux since it will also give you Unix related skills. The server should also allow for tape backups and you should practice with RMAN, OEM and other Oracle related tools.

Use Certification to get in the door and your experience on your own platform to win the day. You can even put together a network with two linux boxes, a hub and a firewire drive and do work on Linux, RAC and Dataguard. These types of skills will be invaluable to new employers.

Believe me, if they hear you talking the talk as well as see you've walked the walk (albeit on your systems) they will be much more willing to overlook the lack of experience in the civilian sector.

Employers also like the discipline a military man brings to the table.

Mike
Re: Carrer Advice: Experience vs. Certification [message #106587 is a reply to message #106296] Fri, 27 February 2004 03:02 Go to previous message
alisha
Im about to come out college from doing physics maths history and law A-levels- could you please tell me how i can get into the engineering era. could you also please tell me what sort of people are successful as engineer and the type of qulaifications needed.
Thank you very muh for your time
Alisha
Previous Topic: Oracle 8i DBA exams
Next Topic: help me for 9i1z0-147 exam
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:59:31 CDT 2024