Home » Other » Training & Certification » Change in OCP track requirements, eff 6/15/2002
Change in OCP track requirements, eff 6/15/2002 [message #102472] Sun, 16 June 2002 18:29 Go to next message
Elicoa
Anyone seen this little change in OCP DBA 9i? Dated June 2002

http://www.oracle.com/education/downloads/dba9i_cg.pdf

>
> Current OCP Candidates Tested
> BEFORE June 15, 2002
> OCP candidates having already completed
> at least one exam toward earning
> their OCP credential before June
> 15, 2002 will be permitted to earn
> their OCP without having completed
> one of these hands-on courses.
>
> New OCP Candidates Tested
> AFTER June 15, 2002
> All new OCP candidates will continue
> to be permitted to enroll in
> required exams before fulfilling the
> hands-on course requirement, but
> will not be certified until completing
> both the exam requirements and the
> course.

Doesn't anyone know when this change was made public and/or first posted on Oracle website?

I completed the OCP 8 DBA in December 2000, and was studying for OCP DBA 9i. I had planned on taking the full track rather than the 2 upgrade tests and will be taking 1Z0-031 tomorrow.

When I browsed Oracle's website about 6 weeks ago, near the time I was scheduling my first 9i test, I saw no mention of this new ‘hands-on’ class requirement. So on May 25th I scheduled 1Z0-031 for the first available date within 100 miles on June 17th (TOMORROW).

Apparently, I’ll be taking my 9i first test one business day after this change is to take effect. Heck, if I knew about this policy change I would have simply taken 1Z0-007 last week.

It’s starting to appear that I might have to throw away $2000 and spend a week in Washington, DC (closest) taken some silly class to get OCP 9i.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should kill first; or any thoughts about the following questions?

Q: If you have already completed an OCP track, are ou still subject to this policy change?

Q: Does it make any different that this change may not have posted when I was scheduling 1Z0-031 last month?

Q: I saw reference about 1Z0-001 being able to count for 1Z0-007. If someone passed 1Z0-001 in another track 2 years ago, could that person be consider working on the 9i track prior to the June 15th effective date?

Q: Should I just scrap the idea of taking the full track and just take the 8i and 9i upgrade? Would that exempt me from the class?

Q: Or should I just give up on Oracle, sell my stock, and turn to the dark side and pursue MCDBA? Just kidding.

I guess I'll be calling Oracle tomorrow. I’ll keep you updated…

Chris
DW Consultant
OCP 8
Re: Change in OCP track requirements, eff 6/15/2002 [message #102474 is a reply to message #102472] Sun, 16 June 2002 21:51 Go to previous message
Elicoa
I should have researched this more before posting. Initially I had only read the 'Certification Program Candidate Guide (June 2002)' PDF file and freaked. Anyway, I noticed at ( http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/index.html?dba9i_ocpcoursereq.html ) the following quote "Currently certified OCPs are not required to complete any additional hands-on courses, only to pass the upgrade exams." So now I have two new questions.

Q: Since I completed OCP DBA 8 (12/2000), am I still considered 'currently certified' even with the 8 DBA track being retired."

Q: Does anyone know how much longer they'll be offering the 8->8i upgrade test?

Looks like I'll just do the 8->8i and 8i->9i upgrade tests. On the plus side it’s cheaper than the full 9i track, and certainly cheaper than taking some silly Oracle class. Anyway since I don't need the test that I'm scheduled to take in about 8 hours, the next battle with be with Thompson Prometric. I doubt I’ll be able to get a credit or refund on such short notice.

Thanks again,
Chris
Previous Topic: 8i DBA Certification
Next Topic: Where can i get ocp questions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:38:25 CDT 2024