Home » Infrastructure » Unix » java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (196) exceeded
java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (196) exceeded [message #98281] Fri, 18 June 2004 22:17 Go to next message
T V N DORA
Hi,

I am having a problem with my database giving the following error.

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (196) exceeded

I checked and found that there are some inactive sessions in the database which are not getting closed even after serving their purpose and are still existing and showing as inactive. This problem came when i am using PL/SQL procedures. Increase in the number of processes is of no use as i had already increased the number from 120 to 196 which is the max. permissible value in my box.

Following is one of the process that is still running in the server even after the front end execution is completed.

BEGIN
:1 := dbms_pickler.get_type_shape (:2, :3, :4, :5, :6, :7);
END;

Following are the details about my database installed on solaris box:

DB: ORACLE 8.1.7
App server: jboss-3.0.1.

Pls note that if i restart the jboss, all the processes are getting closed but as u know, this is not the ideal solution.

Any feasible solution is highly appreciated.

Thanking you,
Dora.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (196) exceeded [message #98283 is a reply to message #98281] Tue, 22 June 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

You need to get rid of the inactive processes - try setting up a custom profile that limits IDLE_TIME.

SQL> alter system set resource_limit=TRUE;

System altered.

SQL> create profile kill_idle_users LIMIT IDLE_TIME 30;

Profile created.

SQL> alter user scott profile kill_idle_users;

User altered.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (196) exceeded [message #98414 is a reply to message #98283] Wed, 22 September 2004 03:23 Go to previous message
Sunitha
SQL> alter system set resource_limit=TRUE;System altered.
SQL> create profile kill_idle_users LIMIT IDLE_TIME 30;Profile created.
SQL> alter user scott profile kill_idle_users;User altered

Will the above solution can be applicable in C++ with oracle data base programming world also .
Previous Topic: Crontab Scheduler issue?
Next Topic: Calling Oracle Reports File from unix script, Help?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:40:14 CDT 2024