Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Insufficient privileges when using SYSDBA,SYSOPER connect
Insufficient privileges when using SYSDBA,SYSOPER connect [message #97389] Tue, 09 April 2002 12:14 Go to next message
sheela
Hi,
I've been working with oracle for quite a while. I've oracle 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 and having trouble because sometimes you have to login as 'SYSDBA' or 'SYSOPER' instead of 'NORMAL' to get some jobs done.
However everytime I tried to logon to the database as SYSDBA or SYSOPER I get an error "Insufficient privileges". I'm using system/manager logon and password for this. If I try 'NORMAL' connect, it works (I mean, I can logon, but I cannot do certain jobs). Why do I get this error? How to avoid that? Please Help!.
Thx
Paul
Re: Insufficient privileges when using SYSDBA,SYSOPER connect [message #97390 is a reply to message #97389] Tue, 09 April 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Basically you need to look at the remote_login_passwordfile (initSID.ora parameter) and the orapwd command for unix.

In a nutshell when I create a database I set remote_login_passwordfile = exclusive and run orapwd (on one line):

orapwd file=/oradb/kham/u1/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/orapwdev password=manager entries=10

file parameter is required and has to go in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs (full path as shown) in the format orapwSID. When you change the SYS password this also changes the INTERNAL password. This forces oracle to look if this schema has SYSDBA or SYSOPER and it matches the password in the password file (external) and lets them in. I do not use OS authentication. If you have any further problems check out the oracle docs.
Re: Insufficient privileges when using SYSDBA,SYSOPER connect [message #98152 is a reply to message #97389] Sat, 10 April 2004 19:21 Go to previous message
Kanti
As you log-on to SQL*Plus, when you get log on window, enter following in user name box and press OK button.
/as sysdba

OR
After you log on as system/manager enter following at SQL prompt:

SQL> conn /as sysdba

Good Luck
Kanti
Previous Topic: Textless buttons on Oracle 9i install splash screen
Next Topic: ftp files using ssh
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:33:04 CDT 2024