Home » Open Source » MySQL » Seeking info for article on Oracle & Mysql
Seeking info for article on Oracle & Mysql [message #97145] Sat, 22 December 2001 07:29 Go to next message
Brad Weiner
I'm writing an article for the New York Oracle User's Group newsletter about Oracle and MySQL. I'm looking for open source software experts to interview for the article.

I want to look at how the acceptance in the business world of open source is and will be affecting Oracle shops concerning MYSQL.

- Are there other major companies besides NASA considering an Oracle/MYSQL conversion.
- Are there any advantages to running them at the same shop.
- Is the Oracle push to Linux eventually going to hurt them because once they get comfortable with Linux they'll look at MYSQL

Do you have any knowledge of this subject, or know anyone that does? If you feel knowledgeable on the subject we can do a telephone interview.

I can withhold names from my article but I'll need to know the person's real name and connection to the Oracle world.

Thank you for your time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Seeking info for article on Oracle & Mysql [message #97151 is a reply to message #97145] Thu, 27 December 2001 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gloria Zhao
Hi,

To my knowledge MySQL is much faster than Oracle for smaller and simpler database implementations. However, it is not as functional as Oracle and might compromise data integrity. I would only recommend MySQL to smaller shops that don't need all the consistency, availability and security features found in Oracle.

Oracle Corporation offers an Oracle to MySQL Migration Kit (see http://technet.oracle.com/tech/migration/ for details). The Oracle Migration Kit can convert MySQL 3.22 and MySQL 3.23 databases to Oracle. With good planning, one should be able to develop applications using MySQL and rollout in production on Oracle databases. MySQL is much smaller and might ease the development process.

Some things you might want to consider for your article:

- Both Oracle and MySQL are relational databases. Oracle is also an Object-Relational database.
- Open source versus Commercial (Oracle is possibly the most expensive database one can use).
- MySQL’s install footprint is small compared to Oracle's
- Huge data type differences (varchar2 length, date, lob support, etc).
- MySQL is very popular for Linux Web Sites (its niche market?)
- More deployment options with Oracle: Replication, Parallel Server, Standby Databases, etc are not available with MySQL.
- Oracle is much more than a database – Oracle Applications/ Developer/ Designer/ Internet App Server, Syndication Server, etc.
- SQL92 standard compliance. MySQL is not even close.
- MySQL doesn’t support views, triggers, transaction rollback, sub-selects and other facilities one would expect from a SQL database.
- Backup and recovery – With MySQL one have to start from the last backup and decide which updates are from finished transactions and which aren't (bad!!!)
- Oracle supports XML in the database

Some interesting links:
- http://www.mysql.com/information/crash-me.php (Their Oracle comparison would look much better if they’ve used Oracle 9i / it is obviously biases towards MySQL as it is always the best, no matter what you choose).
- http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html - Why not MySQL?

Personally I don’t think MySQL is much of a thread to Oracle. However, PostgreSQL might in the long run become a serious competitor to Oracle.

Anyway, best of luck with your article, when completed, please also submit it for publication on the Oracle FAQ Web Sites.

Best regards.

Frank Naude

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Seeking info for article on Oracle & Mysql [message #97613 is a reply to message #97151] Sun, 15 September 2002 17:45 Go to previous message
Richard
Hi..

Have an essay about Oracle verses My SQL... Like your views...

Thanks

Richard from Ottawa, Canada
Previous Topic: Re: Data migration Oracle to Mysql
Next Topic: mysql problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 09:18:29 CDT 2024