Home » Developer & Programmer » Precompilers, OCI & OCCI » Proc on Ora8i
Proc on Ora8i [message #93583] Wed, 10 July 2002 08:18 Go to next message
bHa
Can't find any "proc" on any of the 20 Oracle 8i(8.1.7) Solaris CD Distrib... Does anyone know where it resides? Where it can be downloaded, etc...

Thanx
Re: Proc on Ora8i [message #93585 is a reply to message #93583] Thu, 11 July 2002 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bHa
Oops, it's in "client installation" (unlike 9i...)
silly question... sorry.
Re: Proc on Ora8i [message #93622 is a reply to message #93583] Mon, 12 August 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sn008
Hello:
Where did you find it.. ? I download Oracle 8i from oracle.com and it was not there. Please help and let me know where I can find proc compiler. Is it possible to directly compile using ms vc++ 6.0 without pre-compiling using proc.

Thanks,
sn008
Re: Proc on Ora8i [message #93624 is a reply to message #93583] Tue, 13 August 2002 03:49 Go to previous message
bHa
Installation : with orainstaller, install "client" whether you have installed server or not.
In the client installation you'll see "Developpement tools" or somthing like, feathuring PRO*C - That's what I happended to do ...

Compiling without PRO*C is still possible but you'll have to cope with OCI8 API which is documented too.

Just note those 2 different approaches :
1- PRO*C is a pre-processor which generates a C source that links with sqllib (this lib is an internal one and calls are most likely undocumented and subject to change). If sqllib calls changes, PRO*C will generate a matching code. Don't ever keep the generated C as a source to upgrade between version.

2- OCI8 (Oracle Call Interface) is a supported API which requires no special pre-processing. Your sources are C (or C++) little bit harder to write but far easier to debug.

- Choice is yours...
Previous Topic: Core Dump after OCI Server Detach
Next Topic: Pro*Cobol compilation problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:17:08 CDT 2024