Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » contact mechanisms and addresses
contact mechanisms and addresses [message #90774] Thu, 18 November 2004 09:52 Go to next message
emsdba
I have a basic modeling question.  I wanted to get some opinions on whether you would consider an Address a subtype of a Contact Mechanism (along with Phone Numbers, Email Address, etc), or a separate entity.

I have seen it modeling both ways, and see reasons for both.  I am not able to clearly determine my own preference, so I was hoping for some experts to 'sell' me on the better approach.

Looking forward to the responses!
Re: contact mechanisms and addresses [message #90775 is a reply to message #90774] Thu, 18 November 2004 12:33 Go to previous message
andrew again
I'd say it depends on what fits your requirements best. For a simple application which has fairly static business rules in terms of Addresses and Contact details, keeping the entities separate has the advantage of easier understanding of the data model and easier access to the data (ad-hoc query tools, sqlplus etc). Having physical separate tables may also give you more control over RI constraints which are far better than app based integrity logic or triggers (numerous examples exist to demonstrate this).

Personally I'd opt to keep things as simple as possible and I'd avoid the generic modeling approach...
Previous Topic: Database design for scheduling system
Next Topic: How to calculate a row size of table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:45:49 CDT 2024