Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Reports 6i
Reports 6i [message #89944] Fri, 10 September 2004 04:20 Go to next message
Sanjay
1.What are differences between lexical and bind variables?

2. What do reports triggers mean?What are they?
Re: Reports 6i [message #89951 is a reply to message #89944] Tue, 14 September 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve
sanjay -

1) The difference between lexical parameters and bind variables are minimal. In essence, they achieve the same thing. The difference is WHEN to use them. I would use a bind variable if you are using simple PL/SQL and have a simple relationship to mirror. If you are using Forms and Reports and need to pass data between the two software platforms, using lexical parameters makes more sense because the actual values can be passed across. Bind variables go out of scope once the report has been executed.

2) Report triggers are coded responses to values, user interactions, or something else. They 'react' or are 'triggered' when an event occurs. For an example, suppose you wanted to have a condition where output would be printed if the cost of a good is less than a certain pre-determined number (say you only wanted to see vendors who were offering PCs at a cost less than 500). You would write a PL/SQL trigger that would use a mathematical function to determine if the cost was higher than 500, and then those vendors would be eliminated from the result set, leaving only those under 500 in your report. Hope that helps!

Steve
Re: Reports 6i [message #90062 is a reply to message #89951] Wed, 20 October 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hussain Sheikh
Sanjay,
Bind variable parameters you can only give a unique value everytime you run the report.For example you can give dept 10 a value to the bind parameter and can view record under Dept No. 10 and next instance you can give a different value and so on.
But in case of Lexical Parametes you can even set the whole 'WHERE' clause of the query as a parameter like you can give a seperate 'WHERE' condition wenever you run the report which allow to get a report generated on different condition on different columns everytime.
Re: Reports 6i [message #90288 is a reply to message #89944] Sun, 23 January 2005 05:12 Go to previous message
edwin peterson
What do reports triggers mean?What are they?

it will do the query execution
the sequence of firing is
1. before parameter form
2. After parameter form
3. before report
4. between pages
5. after report
Previous Topic: Running the oracle reports or forms from stored program units
Next Topic: how can i change the report title at run time ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:11:13 CDT 2024